Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UV Lineset tape

Post Likes

UV Lineset tape

I just had to have the Armaflex replaced on my lineset outside after just three years. It had disintegrated from the sun I assume. When I asked the tech about protecting it, he said they don't do that here (Michigan) and don't stock anything for it either. And I must admit, I have never seen anyone else with a protected linset, so I know most installers don't protect it.

So I was looking at lineset tape, my wife does not want it painted white. Can anyone recommend a good brand that has held up well for them in cold and hot weather? The unit is in the shade most of the day, if not all day in the summer from the trees. I think it's the sunlight in the fall to spring that damages it. Once the leaves are off the trees it's in the sunlight up to 6 hours a day.

Post Likes
    Personally I think the tape is ugly. Paint it any color she wants!

Post Likes
    Well I also want something that will keep the seam together. She thinks anything that isn't black will stick out too much. I tend to agree. It's only 34" long, but it is all visible.

I should mention I bought some LS-300 from Amazon (Shurtape). It seems very thin, but maybe it works well? It is sticky. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of choices on the market, and nothing locally.

Post Likes
    Just paint it!

Post Likes
    They make a glue for sealing the seams on Armaflex.

I have never seen anything to "protect" the Armaflex and since it is easily replaceable, probably not cost effective for a mfr to do anything different.

They do make lineset hide, like vinyl gutter material.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    The glue was already on the armaflex. You pull the plastic strips off and it bonds.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbin...4435953239.htm

Just protection from UV, no way to use a lineset cover in this case.

Post Likes
    Just paint it with latex paint of the least offensive color to your wife. Touch up occasionally.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

8. Likes Mr Bill liked this post
    Post Likes
    So no one has ever used line set tape ever? I know it's required in some areas, so I figured someone would have experience with it.

I don't want to paint it.

Post Likes
    Shurtape is a good brand. I have used their other products. Just use that. You seem set on tape.

There are only so many options. Armaflex brand offers their own paint or aluminum coverings as endorsed solutions.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You prefer tape with white print instead of painting it black? The tape never looks that nice because it doesn't wrap well. And it has printing all over it.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

12. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    I didn't think black paint would protect against UV, since black absorbs sunlight. That may be a thought.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamFM View Post
    I didn't think black paint would protect against UV, since black absorbs sunlight. That may be a thought.
    Yes it does but tape it and make her happy!

Post Likes
    This is what I use. Use it for every job.

https://www.toolup.com/Shurtape-104871-VP-410-Line-Set-Tape-Black-50mm-x-33m

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast