Post Likes

Confused Whole House Dehumidifier (ducted/ac) fresh air not being filtered?

I've been reading a number of threads and came across this image on a previous post
    Name:  dehumidifer alternate .jpg
Views: 82
Size:  41.7 KB

In the case of having fresh air pulled from outside, how does that air get filtered before running through the DEH? We are in the process of building a new home in the hill country of Texas, and expect a fair amount of dust in the outside air until all of the homes have been built around us. We're having foam open cell insulation installed, roof and walls, and want to have the best air quality possible. I'm on the fence about a DEH, until the house is finished and we see how the installed system handles the houses I'm waiting to make that decision. We have a aprilaire filter (I plan on using MERV 13), and right now the fresh air feed comes into the return before the aprilaire filter.

Looking at the diagram that I included above is there a filter missing?

Thank you for looking, I'm amazing when the people around here don't spend the extra money to upgrade to a good filter system to have as health of air in their homes high end homes as possible. If someone asks me why I spend money on that, my answer is why wouldn't someone spend as much money as needed to have the healthiest air quality as possible at the place they live?

Post Likes
    The Ultra-Aire 70H has an excellent Merv 13 filter as part of the dehumidifier.
    Looking forward to your experience fresh air and being able to maintain 50%RH during evenings and rainy days. It is also important to properly size and setup your a/c to do it's share of the moisture removal during the heat of the day.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    I should have asked does the Ultra-Aire 70H have a fan to push fresh air through it, and is there an option to have it triggered to cycle when a pressure difference is detected?

Our house is 2,787 SQFT.

We have a 3 zone system, having 1,600 SQFT on one zone, then split the remaining 1,200 SQFT on zones two and three.

The house is a single story house.

Ideally we'd have a way to have positive pressure in the house when any of the exhaust fans are running. Bathroom fans all have timers, there are 2 half baths with 75 CFM fans, and 2 full bathrooms with 125 CFM fans. The rangetop hood has a 600 CFM fan with a 10" exhaust pipe.

Post Likes
    I should have said, this is something we're going to look at later after being in the house for a while. It looks like the Ultra-Aire 120H would be the right size.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddhutch View Post
    I should have asked does the Ultra-Aire 70H have a fan to push fresh air through it, and is there an option to have it triggered to cycle when a pressure difference is detected?

The ventilation cycle can be activated by any controller. Pressures extremely variable, expect short cycles in any wind.

Our house is 2,787 SQFT.

We have a 3 zone system, having 1,600 SQFT on one zone, then split the remaining 1,200 SQFT on zones two and three.

The house is a single story house.

Ideally we'd have a way to have positive pressure in the house when any of the exhaust fans are running. Bathroom fans all have timers, there are 2 half baths with 75 CFM fans, and 2 full bathrooms with 125 CFM fans. The rangetop hood has a 600 CFM fan with a 10" exhaust pipe.
    That range hood is a brute.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"