Post Likes

Clogged AC Drain Line but Float Switch Doesn't Activate

This week was the third time our AC unit flooded our house due to a clogged drain line. Unit has a float switch to turn off the unit to prevent this from happening but it never does its job. Switch itself works (checked by manually operating it) and there is nothing clogging the outlet to the switch from the drain pan. Had our service provider come out several times and they can't figure it out so the issue never resolved. The drain line clogs and the drain pan overflows but no water get to that float switch to activate it and there is no clog going to switch. Looking for more ideas of what could be happening. Drain pan not level?

Name:  20190820_231827 (002).jpg
Views: 125
Size:  61.6 KB

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doc30 View Post
    This week was the third time our AC unit flooded our house due to a clogged drain line. Unit has a float switch to turn off the unit to prevent this from happening but it never does its job. Switch itself works (checked by manually operating it) and there is nothing clogging the outlet to the switch from the drain pan. Had our service provider come out several times and they can't figure it out so the issue never resolved. The drain line clogs and the drain pan overflows but no water get to that float switch to activate it and there is no clog going to switch. Looking for more ideas of what could be happening. Drain pan not level?

Name:  20190820_231827 (002).jpg
Views: 125
Size:  61.6 KB
    A different contractor!

Post Likes
    Just get someone that know what they are doing. It takes a long time to learn this trade. i have been doing it since 1956 and still learning.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    did they knock out the plastic plug in drain pan?, other wise water will never get to the switch.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Out of level is possible.

I would ditch the primary trap and get an EZ trap with a float on the primary.

This is assuming the unclogged trap lets the water drain.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    I have started putting the trap outside about 30 inches from the foundation. Not glueing it and cleaning it out every service call. Does not freeze here at the beach.
    Blue Fox

Post Likes
    I question if the drain line itself is actually plugging up or if its plugging up in the outlet or pan itself. When was the last time the evap coil was cleaned from both sides or the pan washed out? Has anyone poured water into the back of the pan to see how much its holding before it begins draining? What has the contractor done when called out, blow and go?