Post Likes

Have to trip breaker to shut unit off.

My Central unit, a Bryant brand, which is only 5 years old, continues running and cooling even after reaching thermostat setting. I got up around 4:30 freezing cold. My thermostat is always on 72, so I checked to make sure no one had moved it. They hadn't. The thermo was set at 72, unit was still running, and inside temp was already down to 67.

I checked and unit was on "AUTO", and not in the "fan on" position. I switched the on/off from on to off, waited minutes, but even when thermo was turned to "off" unit continued to run and cool. I went to the breaker panel and turned off the breaker, waited a good half hour (hoping maybe there was some sort of "reset"), raised thermo to 80 degrees, turned breaker back on, and lo and behold the unit turned back on immediately and was blowing cold air!!!

Help???

Don't know if it helps, but my thermostat is a Hunter brand digital thermostat.
    Last edited by B.G.; 08-23-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Add info

Post Likes
    What does your service technician suggest to fix the problem?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    You need a tech to check that out. It could be the thermostat but also could be a short in the wiring, or a problem with a control inside the equipment.

Post Likes
    One more thing to add. Just a minute ago I cranked the thermostat up to 80, switched thermostat to heat. When the heat kicked in I turned it back to cool, turned it down so the a/c was sure to come on, then when it started blowing cool air I turned thermostat back up. This time when I turned the thermostat back up the a/c compressor did quit running, but the fan still would only turn off by killing power at breaker. I keeled power, waited a few moment, then powered back up. So now the compressor has started turning off when thermostat reaches set temp, however the fan still will not turn off....why?

Post Likes
    This isn’t likely a difficult problem to diagnose. Unfortunately you’ve asked it on a site that doesn’t provide DIY instruction. So we are extremely limited to what we can tell you to do.

Local 486

Post Likes
    Thanks fellows! Looks like BNME8EZ answered my question before I posted about the compressor finally turning off...faulty wire or faulty thermostat, so I'll start by installing a new thermostat, and if that isn't it I'll call a tech.

Post Likes
    I wouldn’t waist the money. Thermostat can easily be tested without replacement.

Local 486

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by B.G. View Post
    Thanks fellows! Looks like BNME8EZ answered my question before I posted about the compressor finally turning off...faulty wire or faulty thermostat, so I'll start by installing a new thermostat, and if that isn't it I'll call a tech.
    You could change the wiring while your at it, then when you still have the problem it has to be a control. Hmmmm, which one?

Post Likes
    Ok............ have to ask........ what kind of thermostat do you have now that "might" be causing the issue?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Really...
    Save your money and sanity, just call a service company and tell them the issue before they come out.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit