Post Likes

Bleeing air from big system help

Hello. I am working at a building with a closed system colling tower and about 20 carrier r22 heat pumps. Circulation pump is in basement. Bac cooling tower on roof. 4 in schedule 80 cpvc traveling from basement to roof to tower, then tee of to 3rd and 2nd floors. Original system was just one cooling tower and 1st floor with 10 carrier 5 ton heat pumps. 2nd floor was next with 5 more units, the second tower was added. 3rd floor was added and second circulation pump was added. Second tower is gone and 3rd floor no longer active.

All unit do the same thing. They run for about 15 seconds than shut off. Just spend $.($ an hour) and still have no A/C. Strainer on basement pump inlet was cleaned. System is currently has 35 psi on guage in boiler room where water can be added to system. 2nd and 3rd floor valve were shut off to isolate 1st floor. Bypass valvle on end of 1st floor 4 inch horizantal run was opened. No bledders have been found on first floor. They did go up on roof and check for air at highest point which is air bleeder mounted on tower inlet. Line fitting was cracked open at farthest unit on 4 inch 1st floor run and got water.

Any help on where to start or or how to find where air is would be helpful. Inlet and out let cast iron pipe on inlet and outlet of pump seem quite hote like it is absorbing heat from pump running.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-25-2019 at 12:48 AM.

Post Likes
    Shut the pump off, then try venting air again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Could also be a major blockage somewhere, like a closed or broken valve.

Perhaps the discharge check valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I now have water flowing but it doesn't seem like 100%. Be Johnson Controls electronic valves the controller is has no power.