Post Likes

Question about line set on roof

I hired someone to put in a new furnace and ac. He ran the lineset from the attic through the roof, declining to the back of the house and down to the unit. This looked strange to me. Is it code to do this? Will I run into any issues?

Post Likes
    Post some photos to get some perspective..

Post Likes
    Has a final inspection by the city inspector been done yet? If so, what did they say about it?

I'm assuming that a permit was pulled and that the guy who did the work was licensed and bonded to do this type of work in your city.

If so, that does sound kind of janky. If not, maybe that's the best this guy could do and you got what you paid for.

Post Likes
    Im new so unable to post photos still. Basically he made a 4 hole in the roof which he sealed. Then angled the line down the roof to the soffit, made another hole, ran it through the hole down to the unit. The freon is insulated but they are not put inside a casing or anything.

Post Likes
    So the line comes out of the roof thru a roof jack or plumbing collar then runs down the roof near the soffit then goes thru another roof jack or plumbing collar out the soffit down the side of the house, is that correct?

I have never seen a lineset run that way.

We need pictures to see this beast.. also pictures of the rest of the install also, wonder what else is unique in your install.

Post Likes
    Sounds like hack work. The usual way is to route the lineset through the attic and exit down through the soffit. Then there are no cuts in the roof and no potential for water leaks.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    So what other concerns should I have besides leaks in the roof? We have snowy winters here. Can I run into issues with ice/snow?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Emr View Post
    So what other concerns should I have besides leaks in the roof? We have snowy winters here. Can I run into issues with ice/snow?
    Cutting the roof without installing a roof Jack is just dumb. If they did that I can only imagine what other corners were cut.
    Get a qualified contractor to inspect the entire install and advise!

Post Likes
    Post some photos. Or provide links to photo sharing sites. I’ve never heard or seen such an installation.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    👍🏽👍🏽