+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So this new customer ask me come hook up their cooler

Post Likes
    And this is why I keep coming back here.

I thought I wasn't going to learn anything today, but, damn.

I seem to keep learning stuff here.

You guys need to tone it down. I've been waiting for the day I don't learn anything, and it hasn't arrived yet.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Ive never run 1 1/8 .... that sounds fun

I assume its not sold in a roll

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post

Yep it is sold in soft drawn 1/18 or 1/38 is the largest I’ve seen in soft drawn
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    All you really need for this is one evaporator and the smaller condensing unit running R134A. The capacity would still be around 28,000 Btuh.

If you used two evaporators the humidity will be too high for any cardboard.
    Would the humidity be too high because of a shorter run time ( like an oversized unit in air conditioning) ?
    I miss you mom and dad.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullMonkey View Post
    Would the humidity be too high because of a shorter run time ( like an oversized unit in air conditioning) ?
    Yes, a grossly oversized system will shorten the rune times enough to cause high RH issues. In this case, it looks to be a pretty good load vs capacity, especially if you account for a large forklift door.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    You're good.

Ice's posted calcs page shows 1800 fpm at 75' equivalent length (counting the fittings) which will run the oil back uphill well. 1500 is about the minimum and POE seems worse to return for some some reason that I don't know.

PHM
    ---------

About 50 ft line set run straight out the back and then gradually down to the ground
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes
    Yes; as will a low coil TD.

Sometimes you want to design for that - say; for flower or deli display - to avoid drying out the product. But boxed products, for example, want drier conditions so the boxes don't get soft. In high humidity situations the stacks of boxes will start to crush and fall over as the cardboard gets 'mushy' with accumulated moisture.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by SkullMonkey View Post
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Yep it is sold in soft drawn 1/18 or 1/38 is the largest I’ve seen in soft drawn
    We used 1⅝" soft copper for underfloor runs back in the day. The largest soft drawn I've seen is 2⅛" type L, which was a shorter 40 ft roll as I recall, but prone to kinking.

I've always run hard drawn suction lines. I cringe when I see a refrigeration installation with wavy. looping spaghetti-like piping.

Post Likes
    And the hard pipe comes in 20 footers. Doesn't take many on a fifty foot run. Down side is the additional welds.

Post Likes
    With modern copper the joints are likely the strongest portion of the line run. <g>

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    And the hard pipe comes in 20 footers. Doesn't take many on a fifty foot run. Down side is the additional welds.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    On that larger soft copper I imagine one could use a conduit bender. My YJ bender only goes to 7/8 's

Post Likes
    The problem with soft copper nowadays is that the quality is crap.

One place I worked we used to use 1 1/8" soft for resi installs where that was the spec'd pipe size. The copper was ovaled most of the time, so to even get a fitting on it you had to try and re-round it with a crescent wrench.

I got fed up and stopped using it. It was faster to run hard drawn and weld it together, not to mention looked much neater.

7/8" and down never had problems like the 1 1/8" did.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You can use a conduit bender down to 5/8" - but only on plumbing copper sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    On that larger soft copper I imagine one could use a conduit bender. My YJ bender only goes to 7/8 's
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    The problem with soft copper nowadays is that the quality is crap.

One place I worked we used to use 1 1/8" soft for resi installs where that was the spec'd pipe size. The copper was ovaled most of the time, so to even get a fitting on it you had to try and re-round it with a crescent wrench.

I got fed up and stopped using it. It was faster to run hard drawn and weld it together, not to mention looked much neater.

7/8" and down never had problems like the 1 1/8" did.

For my ex-employer, put in miles of large diameter soft for a local market chain. Produce and dairy aisles would have multiple 2 1/8 and 1 5/8 suctions in PVC tunnels.
    Frozen aisles were worse, hot gas deforst temperature changes rubbed holes in the pipe or just broke 90's.

We had tools for rounding the ends, Not sure if they were commercially available, I know they had the last few sets made by a machine shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

15. Likes icemeister, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Somehow, I am aroused.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    I have used conduit bender for years. I always prefer soft.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I always prefer soft.
    That is not what she said....

Post Likes
    I think the older you get the more common that is.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Somehow, I am aroused.
    PHM
    --------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in