Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Yeah pay when paid has been litigated and the court ruled pay when paid was a timing mechanism for when the contractor got paid not whether they got paid. There is a world of difference between that and pay if paid. I am retired but do some consulting work for an engineer.
    It amazes me how many buildings have never worked right that were built years ago.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Yes , we go back on buildings all the time that were probably either not right or right on the edge of ever having a chance to work . Here in Florida it seems to take about 2 years for a bad job to rear its ugly head . P.S. A funny story about getting paid …...Many years ago a slimy contractor owed me money and wanted to come by the office and trade the check for the report . I took 2 manila envelopes and put the report in one of them and blank pages in the other . When we traded envelopes I gave him the fake one . When I opened his envelope , there was no check ( I had a feeling...) . A minute later he comes back upstairs with my check and I hand him the report . That's the last time I ever saw him as he went under soon after .

3. Likes heatingman liked this post
    Post Likes
    I wish I could have seen you do that. Guys like that don't make it and deserve what they get.

An Architect called and wanted me to sub air balance on a building to him. For some reason I didn't trust the guy and said no but I will work directly for the owner. He stiffed everyone on the job including the mechanical engineer. He talked the owner into having them send him my money and didn't pay me either. When I called the owner (a church) they hit the ceiling and paid me that day.
    I worked with Architects for 25 years and have very little respect for them to start with which may be why I didn't trust him.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    The General Contractors are the ones I have a particular dislike for , which is why I don't bid to them anymore . They compress the schedule down to where you have half the time to do the work and then they threaten liquidated damages . That's why its very important to get a schedule from the very beginning of the project for documentation . You will notice as the schedule is updated the finish date stays the same but the start dates are all later dates . I almost forgot , they don't like to pay either .

Post Likes
    The main problem I had with general contractors is they thought they were god on their projects. On schedules I told them I know how long it should take but how long it really takes depends on how well you do your job and how long it takes you. One general threatened me with LD's but quickly found out that wasn't going anywhere.
    The generals like to keep everyone's money as long as possible because they draw interest on it and even do upfront financing on other jobs with your money.
    On government jobs after quick pay was instituted you have some good leverage.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Have seen a lot over the years.

Never seen LDs enforced. Just gums flapping about it. Also never seen a warranty voided.

Also GCs don’t hold the money to draw interest. It’s just cash flow. You can stomp and snort all you want, but the money has to be there first.

Post Likes
    I have gone directly to the owner and found out the GC had been paid even though he swore he hadn't been. I got my money that day. A good friend of mine had been a GC and he shared their money secrets with me.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Exactly! What I do is tell the mechanical contractor that I am calling the general contractor to help us both get paid. You find out real quick who's full of it. I've said this many times....when contractors owe you money and want to play games ,you do whatever it takes . It's all fair at that point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12