Post Likes

Damage by UV light?

I went to a no cooling call the other day and found the ECM blower motor would not ramp up to cooling speed. A UV light had been installed in air handler between the coil and the blower housing. The insulation on the wires to the blower motor had degraded where they were closest to the UV light and the paint on the bottom of the motor which was exposed to the light was aged and brown. The wires and motor were no more than 10" from the light.
    I am inclined to think that this was caused by the UV rays. Have any of you seen degradation from UV light kits?

The equipment was from 1991 so the customer chose to replace the system instead of sinking money into an expensive repair.

Additionally, please share your opinions on UV lights. I had one in our system some years ago but I did not notice any improvement in air quality so I eventually removed it. UV kits are not something I recommend to customers, but I'm willing to listen to what you collectively think about them.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    I had/have a customer that I put UV lights in the air handler on a Trane unit about the same age. The appearance of possible mold on everything inside the cabinet prompted me to install a dual lamp unit above the coil/below the blower. The mold looking stuff disappeared and there was no deterioration of the wiring. A couple years ago I replaced the system with a TAM7 blower and put one lamp in the supple the other in the return, and just ordered new bulb for it.

Now I have seen where a UV lamp has caused the plastic in both a humidifier and Aprilaire filter to become brittle and fall apart and had heard where if too close to a coil with a plastic drain pan that it can cause problems there also but have not experienced it.

I have seen mixed success with UV treatment. I have one in my shop. If I have someone interested I take the one from my shop and put it in their system on a drop cord, let them try it for a few weeks, then call and see what they think. Some can tell right away and i get them a new one taking mine back, some I remove and tape the hole then they call back in under a week asking me to get them one, and a few don't see a difference and are happy they found out without wasting a bunch of money. win-win across the board.

Post Likes
    I like your suggestion of a temporary installation.

You reminded me of an installation (not ours) with a UV light about a foot from a 5" pleated filter. The filter looked as if it had been exposed to cosmic radiation and then shot with birdshot. I have never seen one so badly deteriorated. We relocated the filter away from the light.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."