Post Likes

Topped up 407C with 404A

Topped up a 404A system with approx 3lbs of 404A. What I didn't know that the system was changed to 407C at some point.

Total gas inside around 110lbs. Don't think it's a big deal as they are both blend gasses and use the same oil. What do you guys think. Everything working well atm.

Post Likes
    As you say , its a blend , with similar properties , so personally , I would do as the Italians often do

fughedabaudit

Post Likes
    As long as it was an accident and you are truly sorry, I think we can let it slide this one time. Just don't ever do it again.

By the way, welcome to HVAC-TALK! Your user name implies that you are a student and a guy. Is this correct?

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    As long as it was an accident and you are truly sorry, I think we can let it slide this one time. Just don't ever do it again.

By the way, welcome to HVAC-TALK! Your user name implies that you are a student and a guy. Is this correct?

Can we ask that question today?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by StudentGUY View Post
    Topped up a 404A system with approx 3lbs of 404A. What I didn't know that the system was changed to 407C at some point.

Total gas inside around 110lbs. Don't think it's a big deal as they are both blend gasses and use the same oil. What do you guys think. Everything working well atm.

I did this on 2 seperate occasions and both are still going strong to this day. Although i did put 22 in a 404 system and later went back and swapped out the guts and head to the tev. Thats another story though. Lots of stores round here that its a guessing game whats inside since theyve got mismatched equipment not labeled

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post

Since they joined 7 years ago I doubt they are still a student.

This summer I found out my niece is now a nephew, so who knows on that part of the name. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Post Likes
    Not quite sure why they use the same tank color with 2 popular gases? You would think they could start using white and purple again?

Post Likes
    Roomer has it that they will be giving up on the colors soon. Then they'll all be grey, no matter what flavor is inside.

In my perfect dream world they would keep R404a and ban everything else. Low, medium, high temperature, it don't matter, it seems to get the job done.

Oh well, back to reality.

Post Likes
    We mostly use 100 pounders where I work. Our 134A and 404A both come in gray. It’s ok, but you need to walk up to the tank to tell what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    No doubt the system will operate satisfactorily. But, there are 2 problems with making your own custom blend:

1) You’ve just broken the law by making a blend that hasn’t been sanctioned by the EPA.

2) You now have no idea what the pressure temperature relationship of the new blend is....how will you accurately set the superheat (and subcooling, if needed)?

Post Likes
    Clearly Label the unit!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    years ago, my BRoinlaw was working on a large process chiller....held like 3,000 lbs. it was late, and dark, had the forktruck guy bring him a 500lb cylinder. he said it took him about 10-15 minutes of dumping gas in to realize the cylinder was green instead of blue! said it ran fine for years after. funny thing was he never talked about it until after the machine was replaced!LOL!!

you guys remember that string from a few years back where the guy came on here saying it was standard practice for him to top off R22 systems with 407? that was a funny one!! might have got lost in the crash.