Thread: heat/ cooling load calculation question

Post Likes

heat/ cooling load calculation question

looking over a heat/cool load calculation for a new kitchen addition in PA.

The building is two levels -- open to each other. 500SF foot print. Kitchen level with cathedral ceiling. Wrap around set of stairs to a lower level (partial underground) containing entrance area and bathroom. The load is based on 2x ... so 1000sf

Heat is 10378 and 5406 = 15785
    cooling is 2518 and 9503= 14161

The building and rest of project will be spray foamed ... it does have lot of windows facing east. There is no room for conventional Duct System. I'm going Mini heat pump for AC in the kitchen. Some are saying to place a 24k mini-split in the kitchen. That's more than twice the load?

I get that it's a kitchen -- One guy is saying 18k is plenty. This building has radiant heat in the floors -- my plan was to install a second Mini in the lower level. Not for AC .. but for heat in the shoulder seasons when the radiant is not on. The unit in the kitchen will so heat at this time as well.

Think the lower level will get enough AC falling down from the kitchen -- my thought was 9k unit down under.

What's the "Up" factor for a kitchens AC ? .......... 2T for a 500 SF Kitchen seems way too much?

Post Likes
    So -- no one has a theory on what typically the upsize when doing a kitchen.

Post Likes
    If you’re #’s are correct a 1-Ton should be more then enough.

Post Likes
    I'm not a mini split guy so there will be smarter guys on here than me responding. I had a customer a few years ago with a mini split cooling their commercial kitchen. We struggled with trying to keep it clean (grease). We even had issues with it spraying condensation out of the front of the indoor unit because of the grease. It did keep up with the load though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by flanders View Post
    I'm not a mini split guy so there will be smarter guys on here than me responding. I had a customer a few years ago with a mini split cooling their commercial kitchen. We struggled with trying to keep it clean (grease). We even had issues with it spraying condensation out of the front of the indoor unit because of the grease. It did keep up with the load though.
    Commercial and residential are 2 different things!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Commercial and residential are 2 different things!
    I thought he was talking about commercial. My mistake!

Post Likes
    Seems reasonable to build in some reserve when it's a kitchen ... Correct?

I have done three sided single room additions ... but never a kitchen. The space under the kitchen is constructed as you would a walk out basement -- but it is finished and houses on of the homes bathrooms. Thats why there is no way to route ductwork or place equipment under the kitchen.

I did a smaller 14 x 20 single room on slab at the beach -- windows all along two sides and door. That's only 300sf -- I think that came in as 9k. We did a 12k wall -- it's part of a Mitsubishi 3 head system. Mitsubishi recommended 12k to match the other 12's on the 30k outside unit. It has worked out well .. even with many people and the sun out. I'm sure it's oversized .. it's never on high unless you go out there in the middle of a hot day and really turn it down.

I would like to factor in some extra for the stove -- and being a kitchen .... people do gather.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in