Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Stumping the pros

I installed a Goodman 2.5 ton heat pump package unit a few years ago. When the temperature frets above 90*F or below 30*F the unit trips the high pressure switch (hvac guy installed a manual reset switch because he couldn't figure out the cause). I when it trips, and you reset it, it el run for a few seconds and trip again. Only after the temperature cools down or warms up well this seep happening.
    I discovered a couple weeks ago on a very hot day, when the high pressure switch tripped and I applied a light mist of water to the fan motor and reset the switch, it would run normally. I have replaced the capacitor and fan motor without resolution. All the coils are clean, new filter, etc.. this has stumped everyone I have asked about it. During the winter months I have resorted to using space heaters until the temp gets closer to 30*F outside. I am not a technician, so can't give you pressures or amp's but I have gone thru 5 hvac technicians without anyone having a clue. Please help!

Post Likes
    Additionally, we have added freon, removed freon and it would appear the level is correct. The unit operates perfectly at temperatures between 30*-90*F.

Post Likes
    Can you post a link to pictures of the install and the data plate? Did anyone recover the whole charge and weigh it with a digital scale, then weigh the charge back in with the scale? Or are they just estimating by looking at pressures? Does it ever happen in front of the contractor?

Post Likes
    "I installed a..."
    "We have removed and added freon..."

This is DIY and is against site rules.

If you have gone through that many techs, then I feel for you but if this was a self install or installed without following mfr's procedures, then I don't feel so bad for you.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    When I said "we", I'm referring to the hvac technician removing and adding freon.... and yes it was done by using pressures not scales. I could post a picture of the install but all it would show is a standard package unit. It has happened numerous times with the contractor present, that's why he installed the manual reset high pressure switch. Any procdure previously discussed in this thread was done by the hvac contractor, I asked questions and observed trying to understand how the system is supposed to function.

Post Likes
    They were estimating with pressures. Freon was added in winter with temps around 25*, another contractor removed freon using pressures with temp around 80*F

Post Likes
    No scale and screwing around with the charge via pressures only?
    Time to pull it, weigh it and start over.
    Charge is not determined by pressures only.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    He's the hvac technician, thought he knew what he was doing. So if the system is improperly charged it would trip the high pressure switch during excessive temps? Why would cooling the condenser fan motor with a misting water spray prevent the pressure switch from tripping? I was just taking through manufacture specifications and it calls for a 22" 3 blade fan and the unit came with a 2 blade fan. Could that cause the high pressure conditions?

Post Likes
    Is this a used system by chance?
    I cannot imagine a package unit doing this not getting replaced under warranty.
    If the blade is incorrect, it would trip in cooling mode, but not in heating mode.
    Something else is out of whack.
    The manufacturer needs to get involved and remedy this.

2 year old system, unable to operate in high condition... 5 different techs looked at it...

I would try recover and a perfect weigh in, it's worth a try...

If this is a hacked together unit... good luck.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    You just haven't found a knowledgeable tech yet!

Post Likes
    1-are the tech's from the installing contractor?
    2-jumping to different service contractor each service call is doing nothing for you because each time the new tech is starting from ground zero and duplicating to an extent what has already been done without knowledge of what has or has not been done/tried previously.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I suspect there is an air flow issue. Please tell us the size of the supply and return ducts as well as the size of the openings for the supply and return which are on the unit.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    It was a brand new unit. I have called the company techs that sold us the unit. They asked for pressure readings during various operational scenarios. Every contractor that has looked at it seems to be guessing what the problem is, that course of action has generated multiple service calls and ever increasing invoices. I decided to seek professional help that wasn't generating income for the service technician. That's why I'm here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast