Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I really don't want this to turn into an "Is Nest good or bad?" thread, although that seems to have happened beyond my control, so I'll weigh in and say having owned both Ecobee 3 lites for 2 years and then switched to Nest for the last year, everyone in the house does the love the Nest a lot more and has no complaints. Nothing against the Ecobees, but we prefer the Nest. Now, we don't use the schedule learning feature. First thing we do is turn that off. Instead we set it to the scheduled temps we want everyday assuming we were home, and then we let the away feature take over for when we leave the house and it goes into a more of an eco mode. Using our cell phones as the primary method of determining if we're home has proven very accurate and a great situation for us. Honestly, my only complaint is that it doesn't support the variable speed compressors, but outside of that, I'd recommend them everyday of the week to people. 14k reviews on Amazon with 4.5 stars means other people are happy to.

So anyways, while they may not be for everyone (and certainly not for Infinity style systems), they are for some.

But again, I'm not trying to convince anyone and don't want this to turn into a thread other than the original topic of does it support variable speed air handlers, which it sounds like it does so long as it's in a single stage system and possibly 2 stage systems.

Post Likes
    As I stated, more specifics as to what a poster means by variable speed.

A unit that has a motor that varies it's blower motor to maintain a set cfm, ECM, be it a single or dual stage heat and/or cool, then yes.

A unit that modulates its heat and/or cool and should be used with a proprietary communicating thermostat, maybe. If so, it will limit its functions to be similar to a very basic system and then you are wasting ability. This would be like putting a 4 cylinder engine in a Ferrari and limiting it to 55 MPH.

As far as NEST vs Ecobee vs any brand name, it's a marketing thing for NEST. NEST, while you may see positive results, are known in the industry to have multiple failures, cause many unexplainable issues and their support is strictly off a script with little to no outside the box thinking and minimal industry background or knowledge, it's a call center.

I have no experience with Ecobee, but those here that do, have NOTHING bad to say about them.

Honeywell has a major market share based on reputation and name recognition. They are coming around to what these other are doing. Personally, the abilities of the NEST are gimmicks that add nothing to the equipment operation and little to the end user that is of actual value.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    As I stated, more specifics as to what a poster means by variable speed.
    Sorry, by variable speed air handler I meant Carrier FV4CNB006 https://www.carrier.com/residential/...an-coils/fv4c/ paired with a single stage Bryant Legacy compressor 116BNA060 https://www.carrierenterprise.com/br...n-116bna060000

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MSmithHT View Post
    I really don't want this to turn into an "Is Nest good or bad?" thread,
    Too late.

"We're on a mission from God."
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Too late.

"We're on a mission from God."
    That would explain why I think I keep hearing an angelic choir!

Post Likes
    Well you're about as effective as the Jehovah witnesses at my front door.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MSmithHT View Post
    Well you're about as effective as the Jehovah witnesses at my front door.
    But a whole lot more reliable then that NEST!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12