Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New job offer

Post Likes

New job offer

Me personally, I think I would take the job. Yes you loose your transportation to and from work. And yes you would make a little less an hr. But you also gain an extra $28.75 an hr with what your saving in health insurance. I operate and am part owner of a family business. Frankly between you and me, its not only money that shows appreciation. BUT it is a major part in the employees eyes. And at that pay, being there that long, with the responsibility you say you hold, that sounds like bs man.
    Again as others have said, it depends on the area your in. Cost to live, ect. At the end of the day you need to make the right decision for you and your family. From what youve told me, I think it would be worth the move in my opinion.

Good luck!

Edit
    I misread. I thought you said 4600/month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Well i might ask is their any reason for me to stay at my current job where i have senority , no insurance, no time off. If i did get a dollar an hour raise should i stay till the boss retires in maybe 10-12 years then i find a new job?

Post Likes
    May I ask what area of the country this is in?
    Our apprentices make that kind of wage with benefits and retirement plan.
    I’ve been exposed to such a job in the past.
    There is approximately 0 reasons to stay, IMO.
    This trade is in great distress of good techs. Companies should be trying to pull you to a better position.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Eastern NC, their are about 25 major hvac contractors in my area they typicaly start techs at $12-17 an hour

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    Thanks for the input mech88, what you say makes perfect sense. Its just a huge leap!
    Its a good problem to have!

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    IMO your thinking like a 39 year old, sorry 39 year young man, if you could fast forward to 50-60 years old, with no benefit package Im guessing you may look back at your life and think differently.....

As mentioned this is wise words,

Sure you might become "bored" but id rather feel "bored" knowing i have a stable job with great benefits that allows me to spend time with the wife and kids rather than a stressful and at times dangerous job that offers close to nothing in benefits.
    Thank you sir.

Post Likes
    Well i might ask is their any reason for me to stay at my current job where i have senority , no insurance, no time off. If i did get a dollar an hour raise should i stay till the boss retires in maybe 10-12 years then i find a new job?
    Ahh man the fact that you considering staying for just one more dollars shows me that you are one dedicated and loyal employee.. they dont make them like you anymore. Seriously if your boss appreciated you as much as you appreciate him you would be making more money and given benefits. Really there is no excuse, especially after 23 years!!!

If you were to move to CA there is no way you find a job paying less than $35 with you skill set and expertise.

Post Likes
    Sometimes it seems as if you're spinning your wheels. If you work on Heavy Commercial HVAC, not necessarily a Teardown guy, but if you can troubleshoot Chillers and Boilers, but you're not making prevailing wage - I would say that you're underpaid.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    I know at the local College here employees get to take free courses and there may be some discounts for family. Kids - college $$

Post Likes
    Chev, have any of you guys taken it up to the Local regarding Training?

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    What are we talking about ?
    Trying to help this guy decide stay or go.
    If he has time on his hands he could take the right classes and run the department at the school and get his kids thru higher education cheaper.

Post Likes
    Can you PM? I cannot.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Nope not me ,getting ready for sleepie time.

Post Likes
    should i leave my current hvac position of 23 years as lead service tech/ supervisor making $23.50 an hour with little to no benefits for a position at a local major university making $19.50 an hour with a boat load of benefits? I have seniority where im at but the owners are getting older 55 ish and im dont know what to do. i basically have one boss to answer to and have worked here since i was 16 yrs old now im 39 i know no other job and im married with children.
    Take the job! I was making $23hr back in the 1990s , the owner been taking advantage of your good nature, if I was you I would walk away without notice.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

14. Likes HVACannoyed, Metalman0880 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast