Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New job offer

Post Likes

New job offer

should i leave my current hvac position of 23 years as lead service tech/ supervisor making $23.50 an hour with little to no benefits for a position at a local major university making $19.50 an hour with a boat load of benefits? I have seniority where im at but the owners are getting older 55 ish and im dont know what to do. i basically have one boss to answer to and have worked here since i was 16 yrs old now im 39 i know no other job and im married with children.

Post Likes
    You need to look at the total package not just what you see on your check. Talk to the owners and let them know your thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. Likes supertek65 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    23 years in the trade and working as lead teach for only $23?

and new position only offers $19??

May i know where you are from? i have a a quarter of your experience and have already surpassed $23, granted i live in So Cal.

I work for a school with lots of great benefits, from insurance for you and your family to personal days off.

When you work for a service company there is no such thing as a vacation, with schools thats different. We close down for holidays, winter breaks and still accumulate vacation time.

With you experience that school would be very happy to have you on their team i bet, i would ask them for more money.

On the other hand, i would approach your current boss and let him know that you have the opportunity for a new career and that you would like to know if they are willing to give you more $$$ if you stick around.

Post Likes
    Yes im the lead tech, i supervise 3 hispanic installers who speak very little english but are a great bunch to work with also im the only true tech my boss only steps in when we have a problem customer or to collect money, he doesnt even know what superheat or subcool are. Not to brag but i basically run the show. I have alot of freedom but no benefits, 5 holidays, 5 sick/ vacation days per year, you have to use or you loose them, and he fusses when you take them. no health insurance, i do have a nice company vehicle but only for work purposes and he tracks me on my phone, im scared if i tell him about my opportunity he will give me a 50 cent raise then try to replace me later. The university is offering $40,600 per year plus benefits and they said its worth $68,000 total per year? No vehicle for me. I have to let the university know by tommorow, Help in N.C

Post Likes
    I would take he University job. Better quality of like overall. Paid time off is with a million bucks in my opinion.

7. Likes armandomartinez liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Seems like you are worth a lot more than you are been paid. Take what I am saying with a grain of salt, as i we live in different states, different cost of living.

But with that said... you should really speak with you wife and consider all the possibilities.

The fact that you are working in this trade for a company for over 20 years and no health insurance baffles me... A company vehicle? what good is it if you cannot use it outside of work? might as well be a paper weight on your days off.

If you think you can sustain your living with $19 an hour i would definitely explore that option..

Pros- insurance, 401k, time off, less responsibility, less stressful, safer work environment, safe work hours.

Cons- ill let you list those out.

Good luck man, with 23 years of experience i would not fear trying my luck anywhere in the States.

Buildings are always looking for a real tradesmen to replace the 'handymen" type.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BuildingMech88 View Post
    Seems like you are worth a lot more than you are been paid. Take what I am saying with a grain of salt, as i we live in different states, different cost of living.

But with that said... you should really speak with you wife and consider all the possibilities.

The fact that you are working in this trade for a company for over 20 years and no health insurance baffles me... A company vehicle? what good is it if you cannot use it outside of work? might as well be a paper weight on your days off.

If you think you can sustain your living with $19 an hour i would definitely explore that option..

Pros- insurance, 401k, time off, less responsibility, less stressful, safer work environment, safe work hours.

Cons- ill let you list those out.

Good luck man, with 23 years of experience i would not fear trying my luck anywhere in the States.

Buildings are always looking for a real tradesmen to replace the 'handymen" type.
    Tru that. There is a shortage of competent techs. I you quit today you should be in a new truck tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have a ton of anxiety about leaving the company that has been there for me and entering a new campus environment where I would not know anyone. Right now I'm on my wife's insurance paying out $4600.00 a year, we will be saving that if I go to the university and I'll have to pay $25 a month only. I'm used to working labor intensive jobs like retrofitting old houses ripping out steam and oil systems installing forced air. I'm told I'll be bored out of my mind at the university changing filters installing window units in dorms. I compare my current job to an abusive relationship. They last a long time.

Post Likes
    Easy decision for me, go in house with the benefit package, guessing less stress, get home at more normal times, you don’t mention what weather your dealing with, winter snow, hot summer roofs and attic?

I have several friends that work in house at Carrier parent company, in a facility department, that has electricain, plumbers, carpenters, all worked outside like you. None ever leave, because they know they will never find a better job, outstanding benefit package, home at same time 99% of the time, easier on the body, slower pace, no slinging ladders on building to get to roof, as there are stationary steps they walk up. No driving all over the place, stuck in traffic, service call loading up.etc. Just because they are starting you at a few bucks lower than your present salary, does not mean you will be stuck at that figure forever. It’s a starting pay.

What do you expect to have at your present company when you retire? a tiny 401K, social security, a broken body and a firm handshake from your boss thanking you, or what the generous benefit package and probably a healthier body and better working conditions, social security, will give you.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 08-12-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    I have a ton of anxiety about leaving the company that has been there for me and entering a new campus environment where I would not know anyone. Right now I'm on my wife's insurance paying out $4600.00 a year, we will be saving that if I go to the university and I'll have to pay $25 a month only. I'm used to working labor intensive jobs like retrofitting old houses ripping out steam and oil systems installing forced air. I'm told I'll be bored out of my mind at the university changing filters installing window units in dorms. I compare my current job to an abusive relationship. They last a long time.
    Of course you do, 23 years working the same for along the same people, but..... friendships and good times do not pay bills. There is no doubt in my mind with as much experience as you have that you would struggle to fit in anywhere..

Sure you might become "bored" but id rather feel "bored" knowing i have a stable job with great benefits that allows me to spend time with the wife and kids rather than a stressful and at times dangerous job that offers close to nothing in benefits.

Post Likes
    Good points bazooka, you are helping me make my decision, but its gonna be tough leaving the folks i work with including my my underpaying boss they are practicaly family. As odd as it may seem?

Post Likes
    Thanks for the input mech88, what you say makes perfect sense. Its just a huge leap!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    Good points bazooka, you are helping me make my decision, but its gonna be tough leaving the folks i work with including my my underpaying boss they are practicaly family. As odd as it may seem?
    IMO your thinking like a 39 year old, sorry 39 year young man, if you could fast forward to 50-60 years old, with no benefit package I’m guessing you may look back at your life and think differently.....

As mentioned this is wise words,

Sure you might become "bored" but id rather feel "bored" knowing i have a stable job with great benefits that allows me to spend time with the wife and kids rather than a stressful and at times dangerous job that offers close to nothing in benefits.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast