Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New job offer

Post Likes
    Wow, alot of good input from you guys, no one thinks I should stay even though I will be making almost $4 less per hour but again will recoup most of it through benefits "taking me off my wife's insurance" get it through the university. I'll have to be on call at the university one week every 3 months it may fall on holidays, now I never know when I'm on call my boss basically just calls on saturday sometimes and says "I got one for ya" I guess knowing the on call schedule could be a plus.

Post Likes
    Have you looked anywhere else for employment?
    Neither of those is a very good wage for someone with good experience.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    Knowing when your on call is certainly a plus, not guessing it’s a plus, as you can schedule important events around those dates.

Decision, Decisions ,...as you mentioned today is the day...it’s all part of life.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 08-13-2019 at 07:08 AM.

Post Likes
    I would jump ship. The money you save on the health insurance almost makes up the difference in hourly wage.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Post Likes
    Move to Chicago. Seasoned commercial techs are making 100k a year.

Post Likes
    Bring your bullet proof vest

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Do it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Bring your bullet proof vest

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    All quality Chicago HVAC/R companies supply required tools.....this includes body armor and firearms.....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    All quality Chicago HVAC/R companies supply required tools.....this includes body armor and firearms.....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I know a few guys who carry while working.

When I was still running service, I worked at a shop that serviced fast food restaurants all over Chicago. Had some Burger Kings and Popeye's Chicken's in the most violent neighborhoods in the city. Company policy was 2 techs on every service call, pack up and leave no later than 3:00, and no OT calls. Most of the stores in these neighborhoods closed nightly at 8:00 anyway. One Popeye's on the east side of the city, we'd get harassed by hoards of high school kids as they got out of class. Imagine the joy sitting by the window and enjoying some spicy fried chicken and a group of 20 teenagers walk up to the window of the store and start spitting on the window, throwing stuff at the window and giving us the finger, while screaming at us to get out of their hood. Had another store in Englewood which at one time had the highest murder rate in Chicago. Now I believe it's dropped to 2nd place. I'm pulling thermostat wire thru a drop ceiling in the dining room, and I'm watching a crackhead box with a tree outside until his fists are bloodied, and shortly thereafter a woman stoned out of her mind grabs the ladder I'm standing on and tries to push it out from underneath me. I was working on a roof at a BK in Chinatown and heard gunfire from the housing projects just west of us. I told my apprentice we're done and called it a day. Another store on the west side across the street from a high school, they had found a dead body in the bathroom the day before and the employees acted almost as it was a normal occurrence. I showed up to do a PM at a BK in Humboldt Park and had to leave because the police were investigating a decapitated body found in the alley behind the store. Was aty another BK on the south side. I'm writing up my paperwork in the dining room, a guy runs in the door, stops directly next to me, yells " This is a stick up" pulls his finger gun out of his pocket and yells "Just kidding" I damn near shit myself. I had just left a Popeye's on the west side and was headed to another Popeye's in the near west burbs. A dodge minivan passes me quickly and slams on the brakes in the Austin district which is currently one of the roughest neighborhoods in the city and, ironically, this was the neighborhood my mother grew up in, only demographics had changed from the 1940's to the late 90's. I rear end the minivan and become part of some huge insurance scam involving shyster doctors and lawyers who prey upon the poor. Mind you, the guy who I hit was a hardened criminal with a long rap sheet including assaulting a police officer. I was working on a roof at a Taco Bell and was evacuated by the police because a suspicious package at the movie theater next door. Left my tools on the roof and got out. The police and bomb squad did a controlled explosion of the package and 2 hours later I was able to fix the freezer. I've got more, but these are the ones that stand out.

Why WOULDN'T you want to move to Chicago?

10. Likes Spitz, BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    I worked at the University level and it can be a lay back job. Often old retires go there to live out their trade life and finish with some retirement plan. You can do the university job and if your schedule is from early morning to early evening you can also do additional side jobs to supplement your income as needed. I'm sure at the University there won't be pressure as in residential work where you have to fix the problem regardless how long it takes.

Benefits can be worth it if you need them. I opted not to use any benefits and tried to get paid out as much as was allowed. Im much younger in age then you and never bothered with health insurance. Retirement was interesting but I had to give them 10 years of my life before I was fully vested . I could make more money else where and I left after a year. Also not sure what your university may offer but mine offered additional education for almost no cost or very little cost. I was about to do engineering but it was a long drive to achieve that so I just took another path.

Post Likes
    I decided to turn down the job, after doing some figures i would be making alot less, human recources informed me $35 a month for dental $25 for health $210 per year for parking! , 6% for retirement $10 per month minimun on campus card. Vacation is when they decide not me, I countered their offer for $45000 per year and they didnt budge. I guess ill keep my current job for now but how do i get ahead? My only leverage is to threaten to quit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    I decided to turn down the job, after doing some figures i would be making alot less, human recources informed me $35 a month for dental $25 for health $210 per year for parking! , 6% for retirement $10 per month minimun on campus card. Vacation is when they decide not me, I countered their offer for $45000 per year and they didnt budge. I guess ill keep my current job for now but how do i get ahead? My only leverage is to threaten to quit.
    indeed.com build a profile, make a resume ( a good resume) and let the offers come to you. I get about 5-10 offers per week.

Post Likes
    You should have taken the job.

Two residential side jobs a year and you would have been even, two more and you could be $5-10k ahead.

How’s your current retirement looking? Do you have one?

Your experience would have been 10x that of leading a crew of Hispanic installers (your words, not mine).

So to answer your question of “How will I get ahead”?

You will need to pick yourself up and take a risk on a new job, this includes maybe taking a pay cut and getting out of your comfort zone, but this will be an investment in your future and investments don’t grow big overnight.

Not to be hash but you appear to be your own worst enemy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast