Thread: 5 ton unit in 2859sqft house Indianapolis

Post Likes

5 ton unit in 2859sqft house Indianapolis

Hey guys I have a 2.5 ton unit right now it's wayyyyy to small. House doesn't keep cool during summer and the unit literally runs all day long during summer. Is a 5 ton unit to much? House was built in 2002.

Jordan

Post Likes
    Joke,,,, trolling... post....

Post Likes
    Yes, no, maybe?

There is no accurate rule of thumb to predict equipment size / Sq Ft. Way to many variables to do that.

If a load calc is done and if it comes back at 5T will the duct work support it. Most duct is undersized for the equipment it is sized for so to double the size you will need to change all the duct and maybe add registers/grills.

Find a good dealer that will do a load calc (Manual J), let him do his measurements and run the numbers, then he can give you a proper size.

How long have you lived in the house? Is it the original equipment? To your knowledge did it ever work? Does it heat the house properly?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Yes, no, maybe?

There is no accurate rule of thumb to predict equipment size / Sq Ft. Way to many variables to do that.

If a load calc is done and if it comes back at 5T will the duct work support it. Most duct is undersized for the equipment it is sized for so to double the size you will need to change all the duct and maybe add registers/grills.

Find a good dealer that will do a load calc (Manual J), let him do his measurements and run the numbers, then he can give you a proper size.

How long have you lived in the house? Is it the original equipment? To your knowledge did it ever work? Does it heat the house properly?
    Lived one and a half years. Equipment is original from 2002. It works fine right now. The heater is undersized as well it's 60k at 80%. The condenser is 2.5 ton totally undersized. It gets almost 100 every summer here. Holds heat well in winter we don't seem to get cold but I'm not sure how long it runs. The AC is running all summer long literally other than the night it might take a break.

Post Likes
    What temp are you trying to run it at? Most systems are sized at 75 indoor temp, if you are trying to maintain 70 it will run all the time. If it catches up over night it can't be too far off.

Post Likes
    I'm trying to run it at 72 degrees. The neighbor upgraded with what looks at 3.5 ton. Why do these websites say that I need a 5 ton almost all of them say that?

Post Likes
    Yes it's just as funny as your post. Wasting your time posting stupid stuff online

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanburch View Post
    Yes it's just as funny as your post. Wasting your time posting stupid stuff online
    Hell

Go 10-Tons

Post Likes
    Don't you actually have a real life other than to flex your tiny balls on online forums meant to help people? Or are you so miserably vendictive you like to fight people on forums because somehow it gives you meaning? Your life is truly sad.

Post Likes
    You’re the one that said you needed larger equipment with no data to back it up.
    With that attitude go to 10 Tons hell go 20 tons

Post Likes
    Actually I was seeking advice and you said that all the websites that were from HVAC contractors said I needed 5 tons was bull shit, so yes I had data from HVAC contractors to back it up oh and you didn't even suggest what size I should go with you just said it was bull shit. So yes I'm totally lying about my sqft and my region because I'm crazy and want to deceive this forum and I desperately want to over pay for a to large until I'm so desperate to loose money and to listen to losers like you who pick fights with people who are asking for help. I'm a mechanic and help people on forums all the time but I'm not a dick like you. So get a better life u have better things to do than bother me right now.ñ oh wait you don't .. I'm sure you will reply in the same fashion you have because you have nothing better to do. Even watching TV is a better life than arguing with someone who is looking for help so go watch TV!

Post Likes
    Without being there I can’t tell.
    Give me the
    Zip Code
    Sq ft of the structure
    Sq ft of each room
    N
    S
    E
    W
    Walls
    N
    S
    S
    Windows
    N
    S
    E
    W
    Doors
    Insulation values
    On
    And
    On

Post Likes
    I'm trying to run it at 72 degrees. The neighbor upgraded with what looks at 3.5 ton. Why do these websites say that I need a 5 ton almost all of them say that?
    Because they size by sq ft alone basically. A member here has a 4,000 sq ft home that a 2 ton unit keeps it at set temp.

When it hits 100 outside, what temp does the inside get to?

Having to replace all of your duct work, adding twice as many of both supply registers and return registers is very expensive.

Post Likes
    To do a proper load you need floor sq.ft, which should match ceiling which you need, outside wall sq ft, windows and doors, insulation values for all the above, interior heat gains from appliances, etc, and design temperatures. To add to this widow overhang/shading, roof color and material, and ventilation factors. It’s not all, but a good start. How much of that did your websites ask.

There are some guys on here that can get you in the ballpark with zip code and some other info.

Post Likes
    Isn’t it going to be expensive, ripping your ductwork out to upsize all of it?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    To the OP

Anymore bad language from you and I will release your user name and delete all posts.

Be nice or be gone even if it takes a thick skin

Thx

Post Likes
    Actually I was seeking advice and you said that all the websites that were from HVAC contractors said I needed 5 tons was bull shit, so yes I had data from HVAC contractors to back it up oh and you didn't even suggest what size I should go with you just said it was bull shit. So yes I'm totally lying about my sqft and my region because I'm crazy and want to deceive this forum and I desperately want to over pay for a to large until I'm so desperate to loose money and to listen to losers like you who pick fights with people who are asking for help. I'm a mechanic and help people on forums all the time but I'm not a dick like you. So get a better life u have better things to do than bother me right now.ñ oh wait you don't .. I'm sure you will reply in the same fashion you have because you have nothing better to do. Even watching TV is a better life than arguing with someone who is looking for help so go watch TV!
    Relax guy, if you want to remain here. You're a welcome guest, but you need to behave.

How many tons do you need? Good question. It depends on a lot of things:

Desired temperature
    Where you live
    Which way the house faces
    What color the roof is
    Do you have a basement?
    What type of construction
    What type of windows
    How much insulation

And that's just a fraction of the data needed. To get a real answer, you would need a load calculation, often called a Manual J. You see, sizing is not a guessing game, it's a scientific formula. At least if you want to do it right. Here in the south it's hot, so we might need twice the tonnage a similar house up north would need.

And then there's the question of your duct work. Is it properly sized and sealed? Many questions there.

So we could through out an answer, but it would be a bad one. We're professionals here, we don't like to guess.

We might can help if you give is the required data, but also keep in mind that we can only go so far. We are not a DIY site and we can't get into the technical stuff. But perhaps we can steer you the right way if you give us something to work with. See pecmsg's post above.

Have a great day.

Post Likes
    OOoops, Dad and I posted at the same time.

19. Likes BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes

I'm trying to run it at 72 degrees.
    The neighbor upgraded with what looks at 3.5 ton.

Why do these websites say that I need a 5 ton almost all of them say that?
    72'F set point IS LIKELY to increase run time by 30% to 50% over 76'F

UNDERsized so one may expect to run AT LEAST 12 hours/ day at 76'F
    AND 18 - 20 Hours at 72'F
    due to simultaneous equipment performance deratings for low indoor temp and High Outside temp.

2002 Built
    2859 Sq Ft
    2 story - 1,430 per floor ?

Wall height: 8, 9, 10

Indy

Sq Ft of Glass > 400 < 550 ?
    Double Pane _ SHGC 0._ _ ? __ U Factor _0. _ _?

Duct location ?

BALL PARK Manual J can be provided --
    _______________ GUESS 4 TON, 2 STAGE
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    __ ATTIC TEMPERATURE ___ 120'F

q. SENSIBLE = 34,230 BTU/HR at 89'F ODT

NEED DETAILS
    … MY GMAIL =racingdan11
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in