Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    To do a proper load you need floor sq.ft, which should match ceiling which you need, outside wall sq ft, windows and doors, insulation values for all the above, interior heat gains from appliances, etc, and design temperatures. To add to this widow overhang/shading, roof color and material, and ventilation factors. It’s not all, but a good start. How much of that did your websites ask.

There are some guys on here that can get you in the ballpark with zip code and some other info.

Post Likes
    Isn’t it going to be expensive, ripping your ductwork out to upsize all of it?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanburch View Post
    Actually I was seeking advice and you said that all the websites that were from HVAC contractors said I needed 5 tons was bull shit, so yes I had data from HVAC contractors to back it up oh and you didn't even suggest what size I should go with you just said it was bull shit. So yes I'm totally lying about my sqft and my region because I'm crazy and want to deceive this forum and I desperately want to over pay for a to large until I'm so desperate to loose money and to listen to losers like you who pick fights with people who are asking for help. I'm a mechanic and help people on forums all the time but I'm not a dick like you. So get a better life u have better things to do than bother me right now.ń oh wait you don't .. I'm sure you will reply in the same fashion you have because you have nothing better to do. Even watching TV is a better life than arguing with someone who is looking for help so go watch TV!
    Relax guy, if you want to remain here. You're a welcome guest, but you need to behave.

How many tons do you need? Good question. It depends on a lot of things:

Desired temperature
    Where you live
    Which way the house faces
    What color the roof is
    Do you have a basement?
    What type of construction
    What type of windows
    How much insulation

And that's just a fraction of the data needed. To get a real answer, you would need a load calculation, often called a Manual J. You see, sizing is not a guessing game, it's a scientific formula. At least if you want to do it right. Here in the south it's hot, so we might need twice the tonnage a similar house up north would need.

And then there's the question of your duct work. Is it properly sized and sealed? Many questions there.

So we could through out an answer, but it would be a bad one. We're professionals here, we don't like to guess.

We might can help if you give is the required data, but also keep in mind that we can only go so far. We are not a DIY site and we can't get into the technical stuff. But perhaps we can steer you the right way if you give us something to work with. See pecmsg's post above.

Have a great day.

Post Likes

6. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanburch View Post

I'm trying to run it at 72 degrees.
    The neighbor upgraded with what looks at 3.5 ton.

Why do these websites say that I need a 5 ton almost all of them say that?
    72'F set point IS LIKELY to increase run time by 30% to 50% over 76'F

UNDERsized so one may expect to run AT LEAST 12 hours/ day at 76'F
    AND 18 - 20 Hours at 72'F
    due to simultaneous equipment performance deratings for low indoor temp and High Outside temp.

2002 Built
    2859 Sq Ft
    2 story - 1,430 per floor ?

Wall height: 8, 9, 10

Indy

Sq Ft of Glass > 400 < 550 ?
    Double Pane _ SHGC 0._ _ ? __ U Factor _0. _ _?

Duct location ?

BALL PARK Manual J can be provided --
    _______________ GUESS 4 TON, 2 STAGE
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    __ ATTIC TEMPERATURE ___ 120'F

q. SENSIBLE = 34,230 BTU/HR at 89'F ODT

NEED DETAILS
    … MY GMAIL =racingdan11
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12