Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Sometimes it just darn near hurts when your work goes kaboom

Long week for sure!

Monday customer calls me direct and lets me know freezer is going down and they want me there asap so I tell em to call the office and that I have about an hour left on my project and I will head that way unless the office has redirected me. its about 400 by the time I get there.

Get there and see rapid decline following a 2pm defrost so I turn the breakers back on and head up to the roof. Get up there and switch the disconnect back on and the unit begins its start up process, starts running and the superheat is over 150 deg, Huston we have a leak. Send the helper to get a jug of 404, scale, fieldpiece probes, etc. Slap the probe on the liquid line, SCT at ambient, this is gonna be a pain. So I put the core remover and suction probe on and purge liquid through the hose to be sure no air is going to be available as it is most certainly going to be in a vacuum. Add a pound of gas, no change, still not over ambient, step it up and add 2 more, wow, only about 1.7 over ambient, now I know I am in trouble. Let the customer know that we have a serious leak and it is going to have to be shut down and I could charge it up to buy them a bit of time until we could be back for leak testing and repairs in the morning. They said go for it. after adding what would be close to half the total charge, I alerted them that it may not stay below the critical point for very long so moving the product ASAP would be wise.

Was suspect of hot gas lines at the evap since it happened at a defrost point but the sniffer gave me a total blank on the evap the next morning, they emptied at 6am and shut it off, I got there at 730. Head up to the condensing unit and since they are separated by 2 floors I am not looking forward to several hours of leak searching on insulated lines etc. Got the helper getting all the gear onto the roof and I start nosing around in the condenser. I notice the glistening of oil near the subcooler, dtek says spray the soap here, and so i start removing insulation from the lines and subcooler. Bingo, the leak gods smiled on me and I call the boss and let him know.

So I get the leak repaired, nitro it up to be sure it is the only leak, passes quickie test, let the nitro sweep, change the driers and then hit it again for a full hour, all good no other leak monsters hiding in the way. Fire up the vac pump and start reinsulating everything after washing it all down with coil cleaner. The day is ending and pulling a vacuum against 3 oil traps and a cold box is going very slow probably about 1200 microns so I change out the oil and decide to let it pull over night.

Have another call this AM before, but turns out to be a non-call write a ticket and go so I get back to the freezer, Again the vacuum gods were smiling on me, 325 microns, only rose to 360 after 30 mins, time to fill er up. I have a habit others might not agree with but I like to break the vacuum as soon as possible so I Start on the liquid line and get about 3 pounds in and shoot enough to be at about 3 psi on the low side, then go back to filling on the liquid line. All going great and while I don't recall exactly how much, I would offer close to 85% of the charge was in through the liquid side. I start shooting into the suction side and now the freezon gods are smiling on me because I hit the charge by weight number down to the 1/100th of a pound! that virtually never happens, but I got lucky and hit the mark.

After about 30 minutes with the CCH on and plenty of time for any liquid that may be in the accumulator to have gassed off, I fire it up., Everything is going well, can see the EEV adjusting on the gauges, lines are getting cold, run down stairs, fans have fired off and we are having cold again! Customer wants new hinges installed on another freezer (the one they are using for back up) and I send the helper on the hour long trek to pick them up while I monitor, clean up, etc. I also write up the ticket, adding one hour for the final assembly and hinge replacement down stairs. Helper gets back so I head down to the truck to get pry bars to hold the door for the hinges and close this job out.

Helper and I are clearing the site, I have most of the stuff on the wall to lower down and I start collapsing the tent. Boss is happy because we are busy and he wants me back on the road. The unit shuts down, woo hoo, it made temp fast, this is feeling great, I pull the gauges, check the cores and cap off. Bout ten minutes later it fires back up and we set the lid on and I walk over to put the tent into the cover bag when the helper starts putting the screws back in the top and the doors back on the unit. KABOOM whoop there it is, that famous sound of someone using a long screw where they were supposed to use a short one!!! OMG I was disappointed, wow, I just told him yesterday to use only the short screws on the condenser area! WTF

Pull all the stuff back onto the roof, advise customer of the situation and they will not be blled for the additional time etc. as I type, it is vacuuming down again, charge it up in the AM.

peace

Post Likes
    Wow....gotta hate that. I would make the helper pay you the the additional.....would certainly teach him a lesson....

Post Likes
    Man, that's gotta suck.

Post Likes
    Man that’s one hell of a tough break. I feel for you on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hope he’s a good helper if not he takes the easy way down
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    You really have a tent?

Is it an ice fishing tent or hunting blind or something? I'm guessing it would have to be something with out a floor in it. Pik-nik shelter? I've never heard of anyone working inside of a tent before.

It wasn't so that you could stay all night in order to babysit that vacuum pump I hope.

By the way, I know how it goes with apprentices not always making things easier or making things go twice as fast like the boss thinks they will. Sometimes they are more trouble than they're worth. At least for the first 10 years or so until they start to get the hang of things. That's probably about how it was with me anyways.

At least it was him that made the "screw" up, and not you. (Sorry about the pun).

Is the boss man going to keep him around after this?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    I wouldnt beat him up too bad over this. I had an apprentice last year that used the pointed screws to throw the shells back on the indoors of an 8 zone Daikin, not the shorter, flat-ended screws. I had no fun swapping out that system but I sure know he learned a lesson.

Post Likes
    An apprentice is considered an apprentice for 10 years?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivero View Post
    At least 4.

Post Likes
    ammoniadog was a special case!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Well, it was technically 5 years for me, although I felt like an apprentice for much longer than that. Not everyone is naturally gifted in the world of HVAC/R and sometimes it takes a while before being able to get through a job without screwing something up.

Perhaps someday I'll get there.

If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    I had a Canopy set up on the roof last week for a job. Pretty nice keeping the sun off you

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Not really a tent, one of those 10 by 10 canopy which is pretty handy when working in the rain or searing hot sun when you know your going to be there a while. I have worked out of service tents as well and just call them both tents. They are actually very common around here.

https://pelsue.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/DRAD.png

I believe he will be kept around, it was a mistake, one a lot of folks make at some point, his just happened on an expensive unit at a bad time, but no one was hurt and the customer was understanding.its not my call but if asked I wont suggest he be terminated he felt really bad about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast