Post Likes

Carrier infinity zoning

Hello all, I have used the forum for lots of info in the past but this is the first time posting. I'm looking for some educating so that I am informed before I go back and talk to my local HVAC contractor.

We are building a new home and decided to go with the INFINITY 18VS HEAT PUMP 25VNA8 paired with a propane backup furnace INFINITY 98 GAS FURNACE WITH GREENSPEED INTELLIGENCE 59MN7

This is going to be a 3 zone first floor plus basement install

The contractor is well known in the area with a good reputation. I went to the build site yesterday and they installed a Carrier Cor thermostat. I noticed that the unit always says Cool or Cool 2. That caught my attention because I was told at point of sale that this is a 5 stage cooling system.

I did some homeowner level research and it seems as if the Cor thermostat can only handle 2 stages of cooling... is that correct?

I went down to the basement and the zoning control board they installed is a honeywell HZ432 which also says Cool 1 and Cool 2

I guess my question for you all is, am I able to take advantage of the 5 stage cooling on the Infinity 18VS? That was one feature I really liked about the system. I have an email and call out to the contractor to get their thoughts but I wanted to ask you all to see if I am missing something and also better educate myself for when I talk to the contractor.

Thank you all very much

Post Likes
    No.

If you indeed got a 59mn7 and a 25vna8, use of a core thermostat with honeywell zoning will limit the amount of stages and also defeat the purpose of having a communicating infinity system.

That is very sad they would install 90%?of a infinity system only to limit it with an aftermarket zoning system.

Push for the thermostat, zone board and zone dampers to be changed to infinity components. It is truely one of the best zone systems when properly installed with many adjustments and features.

J

Post Likes
    Thank you for the quick reply.

They have already installed many of the zone dampers... these are 24v dampers I believe. They only stopped because they need a few more dampers otherwise the install would have been complete. Will they have to remove the already installed dampers and install something else? I have read that the infinity dampers connect via serial cable.

Post Likes
    Yes most likely they will need to replace all the dampers, carrier modulating dampers are 15 second power open and power close.

The Honeywell or aftermarket dampers that they have installed are most likely power closed and spring open which do not allow any modulation of the dampers. Just open or closed.

Post Likes
    You need a infinity thermostat, zoneboard and dampers. They all communicate with each other. They way it is set up now you will loose all the advantages of a infinity system. Set up correctly you will enjoy very good even comfort levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk