Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Confused Should my 3 year old AC unit be replaced

So I have a 3 year old Guardian AC system. It stopped working and I had a serviceperson come out to look at it. They said there is a leak in the coil in side my house, my unit is not holding a charge and the pressure is not correct. They told me I need to replace my whole unit.

wouldn't a leak in the coil prevent the unit from holding a charge and because the leak is preventing the vacuum wouldn't that prevent the pressure from being correct as well?

I don't want to spend all that money replacing the unit if I don't have to and I want to make sure I am not being scammed

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, if there’s a leak in the coil then either fix the leak, if possible, or replace the coil.
    What reason did this person give that your entire system needs replacement?
    At 3 years old there should be some sort of warranty on it.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lycaeonia View Post
    So I have a 3 year old Guardian AC system. It stopped working and I had a serviceperson come out to look at it. They said there is a leak in the coil in side my house, my unit is not holding a charge and the pressure is not correct. They told me I need to replace my whole unit.
    If the system is only 3 years old, the coil is still in warranty, find someone that will warranty the coil, if that is where the leak is.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a different contractor

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He told me this brand of unit is garbage and it should be replaced because the unit won't hold a charge even after putting more coolant into it and the pressure would not hold. I asked asked a friend who used to work on AC/Hvac systems in the military and he was saying the same thing that the whole unit should not need to be replaced.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also the parts are under warranty the labor is not

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move on. You don’t want this system working on your toilet, let alone your hvac system.
    Probably a sales tech that gets paid to sell.
    No way you should replace equipment that’s still under warranty.
    Guardian is a line under JCI. I think from their Norman, Ok plant.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the input. I will be looking for a different contractor and getting that coil replaced.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    INVESTIGATE Whether _this link info_ is Directly applicable to YOUR Situation.

http://guardianhomecomfort.com/equipment/warranty.aspx

___ JCI
    _____ WARranty
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that would be a very wise choice. We have a contractor locator map here on the site that could assist you in finding someone.
    Just an FYI, some companies employ what we call sales techs. These are guys with little mechanical training. Most of their training is selling new equipment. This is not what you want.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your inside coil 3 yrs old or just the outside? It is possible the outside unit was replaced 3 yrs ago but the air handler/inside coil is older. If the inside coil is not under a warranty, yes, you may be in for a total replacement depending upon AHRI requirements.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guardian makes R407 systems also, so is your unit a R22 unit. At the very least if it’s a R407 unit those come with a 5/5 compressor and parts warranty.

If the OD unit model number starts with GAW14 you have a R407 condenser and there are AHRI matches for those. Believe we had a recent thread on this subject with all the matching numbers for a York ID coil/Air Handler.

Post Likes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
    Is your inside coil 3 yrs old or just the outside? It is possible the outside unit was replaced 3 yrs ago but the air handler/inside coil is older. If the inside coil is not under a warranty, yes, you may be in for a total replacement depending upon AHRI requirements.
    So my whole unit (both inside and outside) was installed June 2016 I still have warranty on parts which I already verified. the contractor that was out runs a local repair shop with his father. I wanted to get other opinions because it didn't make sense so thank you all for the feedback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast