Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes
    NASA Researchers Make First Discovery of Life's Building Block in Comet
    August 17, 2009
    NASA scientists have discovered glycine, a fundamental building block of life, in samples of comet Wild 2 returned by NASA's Stardust spacecraft.

"Glycine is an amino acid used by living organisms to make proteins, and this is the first time an amino acid has been found in a comet," said Dr. Jamie Elsila of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "Our discovery supports the theory that some of life's ingredients formed in space and were delivered to Earth long ago by meteorite and comet impacts."

Artist's concept of Stardust encountering comet Wild 2This is an artist's concept of the Stardust spacecraft beginning its flight through gas and dust around comet Wild 2. The white area represents the comet. The collection grid is the tennis-racket-shaped object extending out from the back of the spacecraft. Credit: NASA/JPL

Elsila is the lead author of a paper on this research accepted for publication in the journal Meteoritics and Planetary Science. The research will be presented during the meeting of the American Chemical Society at the Marriott Metro Center in Washington, DC, August 16.

"The discovery of glycine in a comet supports the idea that the fundamental building blocks of life are prevalent in space, and strengthens the argument that life in the universe may be common rather than rare," said Dr. Carl Pilcher, Director of the NASA Astrobiology Institute which co-funded the research.

Proteins are the workhorse molecules of life, used in everything from structures like hair to enzymes, the catalysts that speed up or regulate chemical reactions. Just as the 26 letters of the alphabet are arranged in limitless combinations to make words, life uses 20 different amino acids in a huge variety of arrangements to build millions of different proteins.

Stardust passed through dense gas and dust surrounding the icy nucleus of Wild 2 (pronounced "Vilt-2") on January 2, 2004. As the spacecraft flew through this material, a special collection grid filled with aerogel a novel sponge-like material that's more than 99 percent empty space gently captured samples of the comet's gas and dust. The grid was stowed in a capsule which detached from the spacecraft and parachuted to Earth on January 15, 2006. Since then, scientists around the world have been busy analyzing the samples to learn the secrets of comet formation and our solar system's history.

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/s...mino_acid.html
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Solar Wind Creates Water in Star Dust, Implications for Life
    January 27, 2014
    Solar wind can form water on interplanetary dust, potentially adding to the primordial soup that gave rise to life on Earth, scientists say.

On Earth, there is life virtually everywhere water is found. Past research suggests much of this water may have come to Earth from comets raining down on the planet. But scientists have suggested another source of water in the airless void of space the continuous flow of charged particles from the sun, a stream known as the solar wind.

This wind consists primarily of protons, the positively charged nuclei of hydrogen atoms. When these particles slam against oxygen-laden rocks for instance, minerals known as silicates they could in principle form water molecules.

The creation of water via the solar wind could help explain the presence of water on the moon and on asteroids. The wind could also have formed water on interplanetary dust, which, in turn, could have rained water down on Earth and other rocky planets.

"Interplanetary dust continually lands on the Earth and other solar system bodies," said study co-author Hope Ishii, an astromaterials scientist at the University of Hawaii. In the present day, Earth receives about 30,000 to 40,000 tons of interplanetary dust per year. This amount is thought to have been considerably higher when the Earth was young, because there was more interplanetary dust drifting through the solar system.

Intriguingly, interplanetary dust is also known to possess more carbon-laden organic molecules than any other known class of meteoritic material. Such dust "may well have acted as a continuous rainfall of little reaction vessels containing both the water and organics needed for the eventual origin of life," Ishii said.

Read the rest and see the video:
    https://www.space.com/24422-solar-wi...star-dust.html
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Solar Wind Creates Water in Star Dust, Implications for Life
    January 27, 2014
    Solar wind can form water on interplanetary dust, potentially adding to the primordial soup that gave rise to life on Earth, scientists say.

On Earth, there is life virtually everywhere water is found. Past research suggests much of this water may have come to Earth from comets raining down on the planet. But scientists have suggested another source of water in the airless void of space — the continuous flow of charged particles from the sun, a stream known as the solar wind.

This wind consists primarily of protons, the positively charged nuclei of hydrogen atoms. When these particles slam against oxygen-laden rocks — for instance, minerals known as silicates — they could in principle form water molecules.

The creation of water via the solar wind could help explain the presence of water on the moon and on asteroids. The wind could also have formed water on interplanetary dust, which, in turn, could have rained water down on Earth and other rocky planets.

"Interplanetary dust continually lands on the Earth and other solar system bodies," said study co-author Hope Ishii, an astromaterials scientist at the University of Hawaii. In the present day, Earth receives about 30,000 to 40,000 tons of interplanetary dust per year. This amount is thought to have been considerably higher when the Earth was young, because there was more interplanetary dust drifting through the solar system.

Intriguingly, interplanetary dust is also known to possess more carbon-laden organic molecules than any other known class of meteoritic material. Such dust "may well have acted as a continuous rainfall of little reaction vessels containing both the water and organics needed for the eventual origin of life," Ishii said.

Read the rest and see the video:
    https://www.space.com/24422-solar-wi...star-dust.html
    that is an interesting theory as to where water on the planet came from.

30,000 - 40,000 tons of interplanetary dust is a lot of dust accumulating on the planet annually, wonder what the net loss / gain is considering the solar winds, from my understanding, also causes us to lose some of our atmosphere, and how is the atmosphere regenerated anyhow, do particles from rocks and water and stuff, for lack of a better word, ' evaporate ' into the air to replenish it ?

Post Likes
    gotta love summer

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Cool show. I thought he left out the 'GOD' aspect in the considerations though.
    here ya go ....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    that is an interesting theory as to where water on the planet came from.

30,000 - 40,000 tons of interplanetary dust is a lot of dust accumulating on the planet annually, wonder what the net loss / gain is considering the solar winds, from my understanding, also causes us to lose some of our atmosphere, and how is the atmosphere regenerated anyhow, do particles from rocks and water and stuff, for lack of a better word, ' evaporate ' into the air to replenish it ?
    Gases in the atmosphere come primarily from evaporated water, plant life, and volcanoes.
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Racer View Post
    Gases in the atmosphere come primarily from evaporated water, plant life, and volcanoes.

I obviously never watched any you tube videos on the subject, although I remember watching something about the % of oxygen being much greater at one point in time in the Earths history with 4 foot insects flying around ... so the atmosphere is replenished by evaporated water, alive and decaying plant and animal life, and volcanoes ... guessing the thickness of the atmosphere remains constant because its size is dictated by the strength of the Earths gravity ......

They think Mars had an atmosphere at one point in time but was lost due to the solar winds blowing it away over billions of years because Mars lacked a liquid metal core necessary to create a magnetic field to protect the atmosphere from the solar winds.

Thanks for the reply, I will be able to sleep easier tonight knowing our atmosphere should remain intact for awhile.

Post Likes
    I often mention that although I have nothing - I take comfort in the fact that I do have a really large amount of it.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    or, a thread about anything

PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

10. Likes Fender60 liked this post
    Post Likes
    "Leaving out the God aspect" is a common feature of much of the sciences as taught today.

I find it interesting that Darwin's theory of evolution was almost immediately taken, by others, to use to deny creationism. I don't think that that was Darwin's intention and his theory is not overly useful as a weapon to do it.

And I find it hilarious that much of the (relatively) recent work in the physical sciences routinely turns up evidence which strongly suggests that Darwin's theory was flawed. I laugh even harder that this modern work is almost never made common to public knowledge. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Cool show. I thought he left out the 'GOD' aspect in the considerations though.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    "Leaving out the God aspect" is a common feature of much of the sciences as taught today.

I find it interesting that Darwin's theory of evolution was almost immediately taken, by others, to use to deny creationism. I don't think that that was Darwin's intention and his theory is not overly useful as a weapon to do it.

And I find it hilarious that much of the (relatively) recent work in the physical sciences routinely turns up evidence which strongly suggests that Darwin's theory was flawed. I laugh even harder that this modern work is almost never made common to public knowledge. <g>

PHM
    --------
    leaving out the " God aspect " was intentional with the first video of the " thread about nothing ... ", taken into totality with the other videos chances of life on Earth ( uniqueness of our moon, DNA, ect .... ) is ridiculously slim, so then that leaves at minimum a question ....

Post Likes
    our moon is quite large in comparison to other planet / moon relationships with some scientists comparing our moon to a binary planet system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post

--------
    If you want to learn about God in college, you have to take philosophy, not science.
    A fair number of philosophy students become believers, regardless of what the teacher believes.
    They may not all become Christians or Jews, but they do at least become deists.

Seems to me I read somewhere a while back that several of the founding fathers were deists.

Edit:
    So I looked it up, as usual.

The Faiths of the Founding Fathers
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Author David L. Holmes
    The Faiths of the Founding Fathers is a book by historian of American religion David L. Holmes of the College of William & Mary. Holmes approaches the topic of the religion of the founders of the United States by analyzing their public statements and correspondence, the comments left by their contemporaries, and the views, where available, of clergy who knew them.

The main thesis of the book, found on page 134, is that the U.S. Founding Fathers fell into three religious categories:

1. the smallest group, founders who had left their Judeo-Christian heritages and become advocates of the Enlightenment religion of nature and reason called "Deism". These figures included Thomas Paine and Ethan Allen.
    2. the founders who remained practicing Christians. They retained a supernaturalist world view, a belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ, and an adherence to the teachings of their denomination. These founders included Patrick Henry, John Jay, and Samuel Adams. Holmes also finds that most of the wives and daughters of the founders fell into this category.
    3. the largest group consisted of founders who retained Christian loyalties and practice but were influenced by Deism. They believed in little or none of the miracles and supernaturalism inherent in the Judeo-Christian tradition. Holmes finds a spectrum of such Deistic Christians among the founders, ranging from John Adams and George Washington on the conservative right to Benjamin Franklin and James Monroe on the skeptical left.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fa...unding_Fathers
    Vacuum Technology:

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast