Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Can’t you picture the cheetah wrapped Chevy express going down the road? That would be the best. What I meant by hvac cheetah is I’m efficient. On new construction cutting down your steps is the best way to get it done quick. I just see other guys I’ve worked with that can only do one single task at a time. If you’re about to finish up one thing than go ahead and grab something to start on outta truck while you’re out there. And never walk across the house from work area to truck without taking something with you. Scrap flex, grab a handful. When you come back bring what you need and what you will need. When you go back to truck grab the torches you’re done with and scrap lineset. When you go out to pickup supplies eat lunch while you’re out. Run all your gas lines, line sets, Tatat wire and return boxes before feeling the craw space full of flex and ducts everywhere. You can work the pace of 3 dumbnuts easily just by being efficient.

Post Likes
    That's true !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-sparrow View Post
    The last house I did was 1900 sq ft. I roughed it in alone in 1.5 days. I came back and finished it alone in 1 day. I clear a few thousand on that whole job. Do the math. There’s 365 days in a year right? Am I stupid for wanting more work like this? Service work is my end game goal but for now I need builders.
    That's not the pace of the three installers you said you could out work, unless they were asleep. In a very short time you will wake up to a simple fact of our business nation wide ,residential new construction is on average a good way to stay poor. You can be broke & hungry or you can be broke, hungry, & dead tired.
    I gre from a one man band to 9 techs plus 2 duct sub contractors and for a few years did over 300 custom/spec houses a year so I have a little knowledge as to where you are starting. I cut way back on employees & construction and never saw my bottom line do nothing but go up. Service & replacement became my game . When I retired we probably didn't do 10 new houses the last 3 years. Bid more but I wouldn't work cheap anymore.i used my replacement price plus duct, no bargain basement profit for me.I still did some commercial stuff when it was a specialty job that I could make a boat load of $ on and only if big bucks. I will admit I may not know nuthin about operating a hvac business but I stumbled thru & living pretty easy now.

4. Likes BALloyd liked this post
    Post Likes
    How to get in with builders... give your work away.
    Remember... you are competing with illegal labor that works for 100-125/day...
    Kinda hard to do that...

SeaSparrow said he roughed and finished a 2000 ft new home in 2.5-3 days... and made a couple thousand...
    We installed 2x systems in a home a week or so ago... had a crew of 2x Hispanic (legal) guys and myself...
    Done in 9 hours... made over twice what you made...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Imagine if Trump gets rid of all the illegals GA has mentioned. Man those builders would be crying foul with a full job's quote.. Lolll

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Similar here...

With a few exceptions (folks we have vetted over the years)...

We ONLY do business with the person that has both:

Title to the property
    AND
    Signs the check!

I remember when I was young...
    Working HARD had a physical/mental feel good reward.
    It did not take long to figure out someone else was getting RICH off my work.

Then came the more difficult job of figuring out how to get the higher paying jobs and make the larger bucks for myself.

Each of us makes that choice...
    Many years ago I was in a contractors office trying to get work . He had a small balancing job that was worth about $2500 . We went back and forth and stupid me took the job for $2000 . When I was walking to my car ( an 8 year old station wagon ) I passed his car in his dedicated parking spot , a brand new Mercedes . Why did I let a guy with a bunch more money than me take away $500 ? Because I was stupid .

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bradluke0 View Post
    Many years ago I was in a contractors office trying to get work . He had a small balancing job that was worth about $2500 . We went back and forth and stupid me took the job for $2000 . When I was walking to my car ( an 8 year old station wagon ) I passed his car in his dedicated parking spot , a brand new Mercedes . Why did I let a guy with a bunch more money than me take away $500 ? Because I was stupid .
    We all pay our dues to learn how to run a business...

Yet when we DO learn...
    WE...
    Become the guy with the dedicated parking spot with the new _____________ (your dream car)...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    I( think that you can stop ALL OF THE BULL CRAP. You pay the GC!! Show him just what you are made of!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-sparrow View Post
    What’s the best way to take business from another hvac company? I know I can beat their price and I know I can get the job done promptly which to me seems to be my best selling point but heck, these general contractors won’t give me time of day. Won’t return/answer my calls. Won’t commit to meet up and hear my sales pitch. It’s like they’re so busy that they don’t have time to save money and upgrade their sub! I don’t get it. What can I do to sale myself to these established builders?
    "Your Good Working Reputation" plus "Who You Know",equals Doors Opened. And you get one from the other! Example, take a quick look at VTP99s braze joint in the 45 solder thread. It is purdy enough to take to Church on Sunday. Do you want him, or bubba in my post in glob job hacker thread?.! I got a lot more, but i'm just a regular, guest with a low post count, who only dreams of pro-status, so i will quit while im behind now.......! Oh settle down all you tight Azz Pros, all in good fun.

Post Likes
    Get to know the bosses you want work from...
    And sooner or later... one of them is gonna be in a jamb... time or productivity or $$$ or something.
    They will call you and ask you to get them out of the jamb... DO IT!
    Favors traded make for trust...
    And trusting someone will have YOUR interest at heart = more work.

Note that means the sub that wants more work MUST have the best interest of the boss at heart...
    Which means quality work, on time, and be SURE the boss knows you are there for them!
    NO whining!

Trust is how relationships are built...
    And relationships are how one gets on the inside...

So get out there and take care of the bosses interests...
    Get the boss out of a jamb a few times...
    Basically: kiss up...

And you will give the boss a reason to trust you.

Whatever you do... do NOT break that trust!!!
    Or you are back to square one... or worse!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    "Your Good Working Reputation" plus "Who You Know",equals Doors Opened. And you get one from the other!
    I have said this before, but feel the need to say it again, "Our Working Reputation, both Precedes and Follows Us in this Business, and Is the Most Important Advertising Asset, (or Liability) that We Possess"!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    I have said this before, but feel the need to say it again, "Our Working Reputation, both Precedes and Follows Us in this Business, and Is the Most Important Advertising Asset, (or Liability) that We Possess"!
    I want to agree and disagree with your statement. If were talking homeowners, your statement is absolutely 100% correct.

When it comes to GC's unless they are a custom building, they want price. Their is one company (is see they are nation wide now) that lives on new construction, cookie cutter homes (i.e. plat homes where every 5-6 one is the exact same only the garage is on the left on one and the right on another) and they are absolutely awful. And the GC has to know that. But they are doing the whole job for what I can buy all the equipment and duct for. I dont think that bond will ever be broken, no matter how bad these units get hacked in and how bad they perform.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I want to agree and disagree with your statement. If were talking homeowners, your statement is absolutely 100% correct.

When it comes to GC's unless they are a custom building, they want price. Their is one company (is see they are nation wide now) that lives on new construction, cookie cutter homes (i.e. plat homes where every 5-6 one is the exact same only the garage is on the left on one and the right on another) and they are absolutely awful. And the GC has to know that. But they are doing the whole job for what I can buy all the equipment and duct for. I dont think that bond will ever be broken, no matter how bad these units get hacked in and how bad they perform.
    Those guys that do nothing but new construction and are willing to warehouse hundreds of systems get a price the normal businesses would never get. I was mailed a price sheet by mistake once with that deep discount . They were selling systems for less than I bought condensers. But like I said, those guys warehouse lots of stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast