Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

How to get in with a general contractor

What’s the best way to take business from another hvac company? I know I can beat their price and I know I can get the job done promptly which to me seems to be my best selling point but heck, these general contractors won’t give me time of day. Won’t return/answer my calls. Won’t commit to meet up and hear my sales pitch. It’s like they’re so busy that they don’t have time to save money and upgrade their sub! I don’t get it. What can I do to sale myself to these established builders?

Post Likes
    Maybe those GC's are happy with the HVAC co that they have now?

Taking business away from another hvac co? Do you live near me??How many of my customers do you want? Sure, I'll give you some real good advice but DAD would get mad at me for my choice of words,LOL.

#1- Being cheaper might work.
    #2- Being BETTER might work.
    #3- Being cheaper and better might work.
    #4- Be persistent. Call those GC again. Stop by the job site,just to say, Hello Again.

During my 1st year or so in Business. Knocked on doors for 2 days, been going ever since due to "word of mouth". I was better(sometimes) and then I found out cheaper,then I got wise and raised my rates.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-sparrow View Post
    What’s the best way to take business from another hvac company? I know I can beat their price and I know I can get the job done promptly which to me seems to be my best selling point but heck, these general contractors won’t give me time of day. Won’t return/answer my calls. Won’t commit to meet up and hear my sales pitch. It’s like they’re so busy that they don’t have time to save money and upgrade their sub! I don’t get it. What can I do to sale myself to these established builders?
    Just how cheap are you willing to go down too ? There is a reason those guys are charging what they do, its to stay in business. Most GC's want a company with more than one guy to do the hvac so how small or large is your operation.
    Do some jobs for individuals & grow. They will find you.

Post Likes
    I do work independently for 2 builders now, they sort of just want cheap work done on the side. I do a hell of a job though! Pull my own permits. They get so much for what they pay! I’ve experienced what you mean by GC’s want multiple member companies! I work the pace of 3 installers alone! I’m a HVAC cheetah!

Post Likes
    QUALITY work...
    QUALITY work...
    QUALITY work...

And did I say:
    QUALITY work???

Builders are VERY busy folks... they work LONG hours... like we do.

The do NOT like call backs.

Arrange your work so there are NEVER call backs of any kind...
    And the word will get out that you are more reliable than the others...

THAT, IMO, is what will get you into the door.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    I do work independently for 2 builders now, they sort of just want cheap work done on the side. I do a hell of a job though! Pull my own permits. They get so much for what they pay! I’ve experienced what you mean by GC’s want multiple member companies! I work the pace of 3 installers alone! I’m a HVAC cheetah!
    Glad I got my laugh in for the day early. Is this what you tell the GC's too?

There is no money to be made in new construction for a one man band, just wont happen. There is an outfit in my town that will do a 2500 sqft 2 story home with a basement, for 3500. Thats with a 95% furn a/c and all the duct work. My material alone is 3k. So unless I can do the job in 2.5 hours, I dont make money. I actually lose money because I could be out running service @ 125hr.

Like terry said, its about the word of mouth. I was in good with one commercial customer doing service, they specifically asked the GC of their 8 mill remodel to have me as the preferred HVAC company. I declined to bid because it was way to much for me and I had no business bidding it. But i can assure you, the day the one year warranty is up, I will be back. It has more to do with the work you do and not as much the price you charge when it comes to referral work.

Post Likes
    The last house I did was 1900 sq ft. I roughed it in alone in 1.5 days. I came back and finished it alone in 1 day. I clear a few thousand on that whole job. Do the math. There’s 365 days in a year right? Am I stupid for wanting more work like this? Service work is my end game goal but for now I need builders.

Post Likes
    Don't GC's take forever to paid ? How many houses can your working capital go before it's tapped out ?

Post Likes
    The last house I did was 1900 sq ft. I roughed it in alone in 1.5 days. I came back and finished it alone in 1 day. I clear a few thousand on that whole job. Do the math. There’s 365 days in a year right? Am I stupid for wanting more work like this? Service work is my end game goal but for now I need builders.
    Your market is clearly different than mine. I see tract home after tract home going up and there not clearing "a few thousand" on every home they do. They go for sheer numbers to make their money.

Post Likes
    Note that I am not involved in this work...

However have talked with folks who are:

Long story short... in my area...
    There are folks who are not in the USA legally...
    Who work for something like $100-125/day, cash...
    Who work as hard as Sea talks about...

Kinda hard to compete with that...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    We stay away from GD’s and go owner direct, put that extra % with us

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lkapigian View Post
    We stay away from GD’s and go owner direct, put that extra % with us
    Similar here...

With a few exceptions (folks we have vetted over the years)...

We ONLY do business with the person that has both:

Title to the property
    AND
    Signs the check!

I remember when I was young...
    Working HARD had a physical/mental feel good reward.
    It did not take long to figure out someone else was getting RICH off my work.

Then came the more difficult job of figuring out how to get the higher paying jobs and make the larger bucks for myself.

Each of us makes that choice...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    That has got to be the funniest thing I have read in days! You should put that on your business card.....HVAC Cheetah......might even make a good company name

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast