Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get in with a general contractor

Post Likes
    I( think that you can stop ALL OF THE BULL CRAP. You pay the GC!! Show him just what you are made of!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sea-sparrow View Post
    What’s the best way to take business from another hvac company? I know I can beat their price and I know I can get the job done promptly which to me seems to be my best selling point but heck, these general contractors won’t give me time of day. Won’t return/answer my calls. Won’t commit to meet up and hear my sales pitch. It’s like they’re so busy that they don’t have time to save money and upgrade their sub! I don’t get it. What can I do to sale myself to these established builders?
    "Your Good Working Reputation" plus "Who You Know",equals Doors Opened. And you get one from the other! Example, take a quick look at VTP99s braze joint in the 45 solder thread. It is purdy enough to take to Church on Sunday. Do you want him, or bubba in my post in glob job hacker thread?.! I got a lot more, but i'm just a regular, guest with a low post count, who only dreams of pro-status, so i will quit while im behind now.......! Oh settle down all you tight Azz Pros, all in good fun.

Post Likes
    Get to know the bosses you want work from...
    And sooner or later... one of them is gonna be in a jamb... time or productivity or $$$ or something.
    They will call you and ask you to get them out of the jamb... DO IT!
    Favors traded make for trust...
    And trusting someone will have YOUR interest at heart = more work.

Note that means the sub that wants more work MUST have the best interest of the boss at heart...
    Which means quality work, on time, and be SURE the boss knows you are there for them!
    NO whining!

Trust is how relationships are built...
    And relationships are how one gets on the inside...

So get out there and take care of the bosses interests...
    Get the boss out of a jamb a few times...
    Basically: kiss up...

And you will give the boss a reason to trust you.

Whatever you do... do NOT break that trust!!!
    Or you are back to square one... or worse!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    "Your Good Working Reputation" plus "Who You Know",equals Doors Opened. And you get one from the other!
    I have said this before, but feel the need to say it again, "Our Working Reputation, both Precedes and Follows Us in this Business, and Is the Most Important Advertising Asset, (or Liability) that We Possess"!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    I have said this before, but feel the need to say it again, "Our Working Reputation, both Precedes and Follows Us in this Business, and Is the Most Important Advertising Asset, (or Liability) that We Possess"!
    I want to agree and disagree with your statement. If were talking homeowners, your statement is absolutely 100% correct.

When it comes to GC's unless they are a custom building, they want price. Their is one company (is see they are nation wide now) that lives on new construction, cookie cutter homes (i.e. plat homes where every 5-6 one is the exact same only the garage is on the left on one and the right on another) and they are absolutely awful. And the GC has to know that. But they are doing the whole job for what I can buy all the equipment and duct for. I dont think that bond will ever be broken, no matter how bad these units get hacked in and how bad they perform.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I want to agree and disagree with your statement. If were talking homeowners, your statement is absolutely 100% correct.

When it comes to GC's unless they are a custom building, they want price. Their is one company (is see they are nation wide now) that lives on new construction, cookie cutter homes (i.e. plat homes where every 5-6 one is the exact same only the garage is on the left on one and the right on another) and they are absolutely awful. And the GC has to know that. But they are doing the whole job for what I can buy all the equipment and duct for. I dont think that bond will ever be broken, no matter how bad these units get hacked in and how bad they perform.
    Those guys that do nothing but new construction and are willing to warehouse hundreds of systems get a price the normal businesses would never get. I was mailed a price sheet by mistake once with that deep discount . They were selling systems for less than I bought condensers. But like I said, those guys warehouse lots of stuff.

Post Likes
    I thought I wanted to get in on that angle...for a while. It might keep you busy, but the dollars are short. Unless it's completely custom builds might not be the best idea.

Post Likes
    I've seen some really disappointing things even from custom builders. Countertops often seem to trump HVAC systems. I've been fortunate enough to work with a few really good GC's, mostly on renovations.

The new construction market doesn't tempt me much. I get into enough of them after the fact to know that I can't and don't want to be competitive in that market.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    I've seen some really disappointing things even from custom builders. Countertops often seem to trump HVAC systems. I've been fortunate enough to work with a few really good GC's, mostly on renovations.

The new construction market doesn't tempt me much. I get into enough of them after the fact to know that I can't and don't want to be competitive in that market.
    This here is the truth.

Did a repair on a 500k house that was2 years old. Airflow and comfort issues. Now I don’t k ow what the original cost to install all the duct and equipment new was, but I would wager to say my bill to them was 50-70% of what the cost to install was. And all I had in material was a little duct work and dampers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12