Post Likes

Smart Probes - Testo 2nd Gen vs. Fieldpiece Job link

Hey guys,

Can anyone comment on the new Testo smart probes 2nd Gen vs the fieldpiece job link in terms of:
    1)Range (both claim 350 feet)
    2)Battery Life
    3)Accuracy
    4)App integration

Any thoughts, which did you purchase and why?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Testo's to do a head to head comparison with the FP's, but I was so unimpressed with the first gen that I bought, I'm a bit hesitant to drop $450 on another set of smart probes.
    While I was very happy with the purchase of the FP joblink probe set, I'm a bit upset that I developed a leak on my high side psi probe so early on 11mo. I guess all tools can fail, I just hope they corrected the issue. I was very close to buying a back up kit, but they apparently jacked up the price a significant amount leaving the new Testos to be much more attractive if they're a comparable product.

1. I did find that the Testo 1st gen's remained connected when in range, which was very short. The FP's have much better range but do bounce in and out of connection no matter what range they're in. You can stand 1' from the probes and they'll still drop out and back in within a few seconds using the FP app. I find the new app is nicer, but drops out more frequently, and locks out probes more often causing you to swipe up to reset the app.

2. The battery life on both were great.

3. Accuracy seems a bit better with the FP's, less drift and very quick temp clamp reactivity.

4. App integration is crap with both, but I found the FP's app to be less crappy. Both are integral with Measurequick.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Testo's to do a head to head comparison with the FP's, but I was so unimpressed with the first gen that I bought, I'm a bit hesitant to drop $450 on another set of smart probes.
    While I was very happy with the purchase of the FP joblink probe set, I'm a bit upset that I developed a leak on my high side probe so early on. I guess all tools can fail, I just hope they corrected the issue.

1. I did find that the Testo 1st gen's remained connected when in range, which was very short. The FP's have much better range but do bounce in and out of connection no matter what range they're in. You can stand 1' from the probes and they'll still drop out and back in within a few seconds using the FP app. I find the new app is nicer, but drops out more frequently, and locks out probes more often causing you to swipe up to reset the app.

3. Accuracy seems a bit better with the FP's, less drift and very quick temp clamp reactivity.

4. App integration is crap with both, but I found the FP's app to be less crappy. Both are integral with Measurequick.
    What didn’t you like about the testo first gen app? I’ve used it from close range and had no issues. Do we know if the new testo and the fp joblink are all using the same technology?

Post Likes
    While I was very happy with the purchase of the FP joblink probe set, I'm a bit upset that I developed a leak on my high side psi probe so early on 11mo. I guess all tools can fail, I just hope they corrected the issue. I was very close to buying a back up kit, but they apparently jacked up the price a significant amount leaving the new Testos to be much more attractive if they're a comparable product.

I also developed a leak at the high side pressure probe. It was at the silver hex part where the tube comes out. I called FP and they sent me a new one. It was well past the warranty. The new probe I received had a tag on it warning not to use the tool to tool to tighten the connection because it may damage the tool. I haven't used my Probes much since I've owned them. Maybe 6 or 10 times in the year+ I've owned it and I've not tightened the connection by torqueing the tool. Unfortunately, this may be a weak spot on the pressure probes.

But the good news is FP showed once again their customer service is second to none. They sent out a new tool along with a pre paid address label to send the old one back. I'm thinking they know about this possible weakness and want the old ones back to inspect them. I'm sure a fix is in the works.

Except for your issue, I don't think I've heard anyone with the same problem we had. So it might not be a widespread problem. Maybe just a weak link in the design that may affect a small handful.

If you haven't replaced your probe yet, I'd suggest calling them. They will take care of you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    I also developed a leak at the high side pressure probe. It was at the silver hex part where the tube comes out. I called FP and they sent me a new one. It was well past the warranty. The new probe I received had a tag on it warning not to use the tool to tool to tighten the connection because it may damage the tool. I haven't used my Probes much since I've owned them. Maybe 6 or 10 times in the year+ I've owned it and I've not tightened the connection by torqueing the tool. Unfortunately, this may be a weak spot on the pressure probes.

But the good news is FP showed once again their customer service is second to none. They sent out a new tool along with a pre paid address label to send the old one back. I'm thinking they know about this possible weakness and want the old ones back to inspect them. I'm sure a fix is in the works.

Except for your issue, I don't think I've heard anyone with the same problem we had. So it might not be a widespread problem. Maybe just a weak link in the design that may affect a small handful.

If you haven't replaced your probe yet, I'd suggest calling them. They will take care of you.
    Yeah, I called and they weren’t so supportive. They led me to their website to follow their warranty return process RMA. I had to pay $8 to ship it back to them, and now wait for a new or repaired probe.
    I’ve never used the tool to tighten the probe. There’s no reason to crank down that hard.

Post Likes
    oops wrong thread. Didn’t mean to hijack
    Last edited by Achso017; 08-02-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Wrong thread

Post Likes
    Yeah, I called and they weren’t so supportive. They led me to their website to follow their warranty return process RMA. I had to pay $8 to ship it back to them, and now wait for a new or repaired probe.
    I’ve never used the tool to tighten the probe. There’s no reason to crank down that hard.
    Yeah. I told them that also.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    “Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.”
    -Possibly said by Thomas Jefferson(but true even if he didn't)

“What one generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace.”
    ― Definitely said by John Wesley

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestige123 View Post
    What didn’t you like about the testo first gen app? I’ve used it from close range and had no issues. Do we know if the new testo and the fp joblink are all using the same technology?
    It's not integrated for a comprehensive report, or at least it wasn't the last time I used it...

Post Likes
    Not sure if this helps. But I recently bought 3 sets of SM380V manifolds within the last two weeks. Like mgenius33 mentioned, I have been having a connection issue with them to the Job Link app. Even within a few inches. One set seems to be real bad. I have been going back and forth with Fieldpiece about it. The second set I used the other day didn't seem to have anywhere near the connection issue. But did drop and reconnect. Have not tried the 3rd set for connection yet.

Post Likes
    maybe its using them for Nitro testing? ive never used my BT wireless probes for Nitro tests which can be 250-500 and i figured that might be too much for the, use an old set of digis for that plus on burnouts.. ive had my Iconnects for 3 full seasons now without a single issue other then the APP and thats why i went MQ..

Post Likes
    just a couple of comments
    first:
    I hooked onto a system, a year ago, that was grossly overcharged, with my JL probes and the high side hit over 800psi, with no ill effects yet on the probes, so I doubt 250-500 would hurt anything. They are rated for 800psi according to the spec sheet.

second:
    I've owned and used the probes since the day they were released, and they work great. Yes, they've had issues with dropping and reconnecting. It used to be real terrible, almost unusable, but FP did make updates that has cured a lot of that. They're not perfect, but lightyears better. The range is what I would call 150' or so 'usable', sometimes a bit more. That's the reality of any BT radio claiming 350', whether it be FP or Testo.

third:
    As to the Sman 380, I've used one now for a while and NEVER hooked onto a system that I didn't have signal from my JL temp and Psych probes, no matter how big the house or business, and I service an Art Center that is pretty big. They have been bullet proof for me so far.

lastly:
    I've used a lot of digitals, including several sets of Testo, ie. 550 and 557, and never had an issue with them. They are not my favorites, nor are they the easiest to use, having to scroll thru screens, but they work well for their intended use. Their BT range on any of their tools, up until now, was absolutely horrible. I think they're pretty late to the game, but they have a decent app, and if the range works out, then they may have decent probes, they're just not my go to tools for gauges. That could obviously change, but with FP's integration of JL and Sman and a decent app, I doubt it. I rarely use the pressure probes except on coolers and friges. Fp's improvements to the app are really great, I like it better than MeasureQuick, simply because it takes less setup time. If I'm diagnosing a perplexing problem, I'll fire up MQ, but usually don't like all the fuss. It's way to easy to miss some obscure setting and screw up your diagnosis, but I admit, I need to use it more and get used to it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    maybe its using them for Nitro testing? ive never used my BT wireless probes for Nitro tests which can be 250-500 and i figured that might be too much for the, use an old set of digis for that plus on burnouts.. ive had my Iconnects for 3 full seasons now without a single issue other then the APP and thats why i went MQ..
    How has your experience been using iconnect with mq? Have you tried any other probs? Curious because I am considering getting my own set of wireless devices,just trying to make the decision on which one.

Post Likes
    has anyone used the (obviously someone has) yellow jacket 67002? I got a set on amazon (used in very good condition) which means like new--a return) for 139$. They are about 300$ otherwise. They should be here tomorrow- but I am so tired of carrying so much stuff. IF I can use them for basic testing/troubleshooting, maybe I wont have to lug the whole manifold/hose on every service call. If they weren't 139$ I probably wouldnt have bought them. Interestingly- I bought a new tv- and best buy had dozens of "open box"---I asked why so many- and he said "rentals". I was a bit lost---and he said "people buy them for super bowl then return them and we call them rentals because we usually can tell while we are ringing up the sale the people who will return the TV - but we can't do anything about it." I know amazon has a lot of "rentals"---people buy tools and whatever for a specific job then return or car parts to troubleshoot, then return. I don't condone it- but you can get some good deals if you watch. case in point the 139$ yellow jacket mantooth set. We will see if its worth 139$---hoping it is.
    Thanks!