Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: Starting My Own HVAC business

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Dubai, UAE
    Posts
    21
    Post Likes

    Starting My Own HVAC business

    Nice to hear, good work! First, plan your work and act accordingly.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    772
    Post Likes
    My advice, get in the yellow pages and make sure the book is out before you bail on present job. I wouldn't worry to much about other advertising because of the expense. Quickest way out of business is trying to be the cheapest guy out there. I've seen that a lot. Depending on the size of your community, the first 5 years is going to be rough in small population area's. But keep your chin up and do good work and you'll be fine.... Try your best to get paid before you leave the customer. Sell decent equipment. You don't want to spend your time having to come up with excuses for it. Have a decent looking vehicle, I've found people don't want to have the neighbors looking at a beat up old van outside their house. Good luck to anyone trying it. Don't take every job... look for uh oh's ... If the last 3 guys were worthless, your going to be the next one. You don't need that. Some jobs are better to walk away from.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, N.C.
    Posts
    1,051
    Post Likes
    I disagree with going with yellow pages, as my experience they are a big money expense and do not pay for themselves, there are other alternatives that will cost you less. Just my 2 cents worth of advice!!!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    Indoor Air Quality Master Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Marietta , Georgia
    Posts
    53
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky05 View Post
    I disagree with going with yellow pages, as my experience they are a big money expense and do not pay for themselves, there are other alternatives that will cost you less. Just my 2 cents worth of advice!!!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sparky is right.....the yellow pages are a dead end and WAY too expensive. In this digital age nobody even thinks about them any more. Create a Facebook page where you can post picks of your work, even if you don't post very often you will at least have SOME kind of presence that people can find. Next Door is another good place to get your name out, especially if you do good work.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    681
    Post Likes
    Depends on your market. Yellow Pages work great for me. I cancelled my web site because I was getting zero return on it. My SEO guy had me on Googles first page.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Marietta , Georgia
    Posts
    53
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    Depends on your market. Yellow Pages work great for me. I cancelled my web site because I was getting zero return on it. My SEO guy had me on Googles first page.
    I have no idea where your market is since you have chosen to hide your location, but in a large city like Atlanta it's completely worthless.....and now days most people go straight to the internet to find what they are looking for.

    That SEO crap is worthless too......almost as worthless as the BBB. People skip those ads because they know that those companies PAID to be placed first, and the cost is ridiculous. you'd be better of with Home Advisor or Angie's List.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    46,066
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by paklein View Post
    I have no idea where your market is since you have chosen to hide your location, but in a large city like Atlanta it's completely worthless.....and now days most people go straight to the internet to find what they are looking for.

    That SEO crap is worthless too......almost as worthless as the BBB. People skip those ads because they know that those companies PAID to be placed first, and the cost is ridiculous. you'd be better of with Home Advisor or Angie's List.
    Being in the Atlanta market... I tend to agree...
    YP are worthless...
    Folks use the internet.

    However lots of folks in Atlanta are loyal, as soon as they decide they trust you...
    So be absolutely sure you take care of folks...
    Even if you have to say: Thank you for asking XXXX company (me) to help... this is not something I can do for you, for XXXX reason, however if there is any way we can help you in the future, please let us know!
    I have had folks come back to me a year or so later... just because they were thankful I was honest with them!

    Take care of your customers... and they will spread you around!
    It really is as simple as that!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

    GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fuquay Varina, N.C.
    Posts
    1,051
    Post Likes
    Have to advise against Home Advisor and Angie's list, as you pay for their leads even if you do not get the jobs, a good Facebook page and even a website is a better way to go, ask for referrals from your customers and post them on your website and Facebook page, the exposure will bring in more business, one other thing I did was to buy fridge magnets, the customers will advertise it on their fridge and their neighbors and friends will see it and you will start to get more calls especially if your customers were happy with your service, word of mouth is the best advertising and a small fridge magnet will help to remind people of your company and your service, that was how I grew my business!!!!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    Indoor Air Quality Master Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Cape Coral / Helsinki
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    I think that you meet a some kind of new world. In this world you must cross from specialist to all-in-one manager.
    First of all its your people, for whom you can delegate most important part that you do it now.
    Effective management, marketing and ability to check the quality of working by your people.

    To start something new, you must you have to give up something, but that takes courage.

    If i answered for your question in few points. i w'll do next.

    1. Find a people who can do your work (which takes away from you all the time)
    2. Find more customers (use search engines, social networks, recommendations of your customers, local directories, craig list... e.t.c.)
    3. Find a people who can quality checking a complete your orders
    4. Find a tool that can help you manage it
    5. Decide all formal questions

    Delegate all of your time consuming tasks
    Create a brand that you can trust
    Looking for good executors

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    2
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky05 View Post
    Have to advise against Home Advisor

    Just to add, the issue with lead sellers like HA is the leads are not exclusive. You have to be quick (and first) to dial, because it's a race to contact once the lead comes in.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Good luck with your start up!

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    3
    Post Likes
    Started my business in the last year and to be honest my biggest issue is good help. I live in a relatively small area and pay an excellent salary but the good techs are with the established companies that offer 401k etc which I'm just not ready to do.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    149
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    OP,just what does "made 10K-15k & 20k" mean as "profit made" mean??? No insurance, no truck,no office,no secretary,no inventory,no salary?
    Then, just wait until that GC holds back some money, again and again. Then you "cannot be all that good" if you are worried about "someone else" taking your GC away from you. Are you talking about a price war just to keep the customer? Then, do you have THOUSANDS of $ to pay the supply house for the HVAC equipment while you wait for the GC's check to clear? Then 1 guy can install 1 system in 2 days?? Then while you are doing your install just how the hell do you run service calls?

    Please take all of this as a POSITIVE input. If you do jump into your own business,give it your all!!! I did and I am glad that I did.
    I have some Good Reading material on being in Business if you are interested.
    You can send me that material of opening a business.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    40
    Post Likes
    Go start your own business. It fails just go back to working for someone.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    Posts
    18
    Post Likes
    Truth! I did the same thing in July. I went took my state tests and went out on my own with no safety net. I made 40,000 in 6 months by hard work and pushing. I'm 35 with a 12 year old and a 1 year old, so it was now or never.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    San Marcos, TX
    Posts
    11
    Post Likes
    I too am putting the pieces together to start a new business. It will be hard to find a mentor to learn from that is not your competition. But, one owner told me to just pull the trigger and get after it, it's the only way you're going to learn the business side of the business. At first, I thought he was fun of it, but after thinking about it, he is right. The only way I'm going to learn, is just to do it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •