Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes

Remote access to building network

Hi all,

What solution or products are you using for remote access to building network with BACnet devices?

What are the main challenges to set it up ?
    1) Do you have an I.T. department?
    2) If #1 = YES then what are their rules regarding outside access?
    3) If #1 = NO then what do your customers or tenants allow?

Thanks,
    BO

Post Likes
    Typically I just use TeamViewer since it's getting harder all the time to be able to use a public IP.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thanks cbannor. Does TeamViewer work through corporate/enterprise firewalls ?

Post Likes
    Yes it usually does. I actually prefer it to just hitting the IP because you're actually taking over the host computer so you can change computer settings if need be.

Post Likes
    Thanks I appreciate it. Assuming that host computer sits on a corporate lan and not on a separate building network, doesn't that opens up acess to their network ? If so, do customers get concerned about security with this setup and how do you alleviate their concerns ?

Post Likes
    It's basically the only way I get allowed remote access in my area anymore. Nobody seems to like VPNs or public IPs. You're essentially just running the mouse and keyboard on the host computer and not transferring files so they're not concerned.

Post Likes
    Thank cbannor, appreciate your feedback.

Post Likes
    We used to use Teamviewer but dumped it due to security and user maintenance concerns. Seems well justified; https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...ach-from-2016/

We now use Splashtop but find the connectivity isn't as robust as teamviewer was and is blocked in a lot of places. Large file transfer is sometimes a problem but many other solutions to that. Both teamviewer and splashtop are generally banned on any professional organization, but they will generally have us use their VPN so thats all right.

If I had to come to the table with a solution I might look at tosibox but now we generally skip over that and go to our hosting solution with our own VPN appliances.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Thanks Maxburn this is what I understand also. With VPN too there are challenges to set it up right ?
    How do you deal with it ?
    Do you have an I.T. department who reach out to customer IT dept and hash out VPN ports etc especially with big companies ? And do customer IT dept have general rules regarding outside access if so what are the rules ?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductManagerR View Post
    Thanks Maxburn this is what I understand also. With VPN too there are challenges to set it up right ?
    How do you deal with it ?
    Do you have an I.T. department who reach out to customer IT dept and hash out VPN ports etc especially with big companies ? And do customer IT dept have general rules regarding outside access if so what are the rules ?

Thanks again for the feedback.
    That's all generally my role. Our situations generally fall into one of three categories.

1. Customer has no IT staff and network is a mess; we push for our hosting here or have a server on site with splashtop.
    2. Customer has IT staff that know what they are doing and set us up with a VLAN; generally they will provide us a VPN.
    3. Customer has IT staff that won't allow us on the network. Again we push for hosting here and sometimes cellular connectivity.

Tosi is a niche device we might use one day but if your group is a little lacking the IT department it could work for you.
    Scott Jalbert, WebCTRL ninja, Naiagara AX and Smartstruxure newb, SiteScan Retired

The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried

Post Likes
    Thanks Maxburn.

Post Likes
    Told you you would get much better responses over here.

Ken

Post Likes
    Thanks Ken, appreciate it. I'm hoping I will get a few more feedback from others in this forum.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast