+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Your furnace is garbage"

Post Likes
    Seller told her it had a brand new furnace and not to worry. Water heater just about ready to fall through the rotted out floor. Gonna go back Saturday and yank the heater and put it on a fresh piece of 3/4" plywood. She has no money to pay.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    The water heater will be fine, the pipes will hold it up.

Post Likes
    thats a first for me to see corrugated off the tp valve to galvanized drain
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    who ever piped that tp valve drain line should be shot its not to code and would no way pass where i am from

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Possibly the shortest and most concise thing I have ever seen you post.

I found it to be Exhilarating, as well as absolutely fulfilling.

Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Found this Mutt the other day. Had so much leak sealer in it. I almost puked. And my gauges still stunk this morning. Poor lady just bought the place and wanted a "check up".
    That's one of the"Finest Hack Jobs" that I've seen this year.

Did You Warn here about the Flue Pipe not being properly connected to the "B-Vent"?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    that is not b vent its a roof jack that the proper furnace for a manufactured home would use with a traditional furnace hacked in to it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    that is not b vent its a roof jack that the proper furnace for a manufactured home would use with a traditional furnace hacked in to it
    Nope,...

That is B-vent, ..... Unless someone "Hacked" something together to look like a "Roof Jack", ... which it is not, a "Roof Jack".

For that matter, .... If this installation is in a Mobile home/Double Wide, then even the DHW doesn't have the proper Flue piping.

Combustion Air is pulled via a Two Pipe System in M.H.s

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidDeBord View Post
    Nope,...

That is B-vent, ..... Unless someone "Hacked" something together to look like a "Roof Jack", ... which it is not, a "Roof Jack".

For that matter, .... If this installation is in a Mobile home/Double Wide, then even the DHW doesn't have the proper Flue piping.

Combustion Air is pulled via a Two Pipe System in M.H.s
    Yes that is a Mobile Home (doublewide). There is a cut out in the floor for combustion air. But, i never went back. We gave her a proposal to rip it all out. Redo floor and new proper cased coil and plenum. This a residential furnace. Not a sealed burner mobile home home furnace. Is it even Legal?

Post Likes
    Yes that is a Mobile Home (doublewide). There is a cut out in the floor for combustion air. But, i never went back. We gave her a proposal to rip it all out. Redo floor and new proper cased coil and plenum. This a residential furnace. Not a sealed burner mobile home home furnace. Is it even Legal?
    Nope.

And I'm Positive, that if the Brand of Home, It's Md.#/ Ser.#, etc., were provided, that by running that Data through HUD, ... That it will quickly be proven that a "B-vent" installation is not what came from the Factory, nor was "Approved of" by HUD.

Post Likes
    it most certianly is a roof jack i have been doing manufactured home work for 30 years plus a roof jack is a pipe in a pipe the air comes in normaly in the outer part of the pipe and the exaust goes up the inner pipe to the roof.
    and yes its hacked NOT by KB Cool and your comment about two pipe air in take is wrong the new homes it comes from under the home via a air intake duct in the floor OR if code allows the home it self.
    my home it came from a duct under the house orginaly it came from the roof i changed it when i replaced the miller CMF80 PO furance i had .

Post Likes
    no it is not legal but its done by techs who arnt up to speed on manufactured home codes.
    I have been for years to be code legal it has to be a downflow furance with the A coil under it like you see in most newer homes.
    on my old house i had a miller CMF80 PO that had its own air intake pipeing to the burner from under the house.
    When i got the home it came from the roof jack got tired of it starving for air when we got a heavy snow storm its not fun cleaning the roof with you got winds whipping at you but you do what you have to do for heat.
    So i changed it to under the house and yes its legal as well.

Post Likes
    if you go back and look at the picture it is a roof jack pipeing system the foil tape covers the outer pipe that the intake air comes though and the hacked in vent goes to the inner pipe the exaust normaly goes out at roof level at.
    i have been doing manufactured home the proper term what was called a mobile home until HUD changed the terms in 1992 for some odd reason for over 30 years and if the poster had taken the hack job apart he would have found the roof jack pipe in a pipe system .
    but you are 100% right the furance is a home model NOT allowed in a manufactured home.

Post Likes
    if you go back and look at the picture it is a roof jack pipeing system the foil tape covers the outer pipe that the intake air comes though and the hacked in vent goes to the inner pipe the exaust normaly goes out at roof level at.
    i have been doing manufactured home the proper term what was called a mobile home until HUD changed the terms in 1992 for some odd reason for over 30 years and if the poster had taken the hack job apart he would have found the roof jack pipe in a pipe system .
    but you are 100% right the furance is a home model NOT allowed in a manufactured home.
    Where does it say a residential furnace in a mobile home is illegal? My Boss thinks it's ok if the required combustion air and venting is provided. I questioned him twice. But, he stuck by his answer.

Post Likes
    Seems like at a service school some years ago the instructor was talking about furnaces needing to be rated for MH. He went on to say that "most" of the Trane furnaces were now rated for it and to check listing to make sure.

I never do anything with MH so I didn't pay too close of attention to that part so I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Post Likes
    We do not do MH's... so do not have any experience with them...

However, read years ago...

That MH's are higher static pressure... so residential furnaces cannot move the air volume necessary.

I hear Coleman and Intertherm make MH furnaces...

When we get a MH call, we thank them for calling us, and explain we do not do MH's...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    it most certianly is a roof jack i have been doing manufactured home work for 30 years plus a roof jack is a pipe in a pipe the air comes in normaly in the outer part of the pipe and the exaust goes up the inner pipe to the roof.
    and yes its hacked NOT by KB Cool and your comment about two pipe air in take is wrong the new homes it comes from under the home via a air intake duct in the floor OR if code allows the home it self.
    my home it came from a duct under the house orginaly it came from the roof i changed it when i replaced the miller CMF80 PO furance i had .
    1.) That is Absolutely Not an Approved by HUD, Roof Jack Assembly.
    2.) Please present Documentation where "B-vent" has been Approved by Intertherm/Miller/Nordyne, or what ever Dysfunctional Corporate Name they are operating under now, for their Gas & Oil Installations.
    3.) I've been doing this kind of Work, since being a Helper in 1974, & finally going on my Own in 1982.
    4.)I NEVER SAID THAT KBCOOL HACKED THAT IN. PERIOD.
    5.) I've not seen One "New" Modular/ Single Wide, (& those "New Homes" include from 1980 to 2019), that had it's Combustion Air, pulled in by a Floor Grill, ....Please Provide Current Documentation of who makes that Home Please. Perhaps I haven't been getting out enough to see a set up such as this, & I may have to toss out My Code Books, & Update them.

Here's the Installation Manual for the CMF80 PO. Please look at pages #2-#5, .... On Page #2 in the chart it specifies that a M.H requires a "NORDYNE SRJ
    Roofjack Only". :

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/90...-Cmf80-Pg.html
    ---------------

Here is one example of that Roof-jack Specified by Miller/Nordyne/Intertherm. You should be able to easily see that "B-vent" Absolutely is not a component of what the Manufacturer specifies.:

https://www.starsupplyusa.com/produc...n-fm-104060003

Post Likes
    Where does it say a residential furnace in a mobile home is illegal? My Boss thinks it's ok if the required combustion air and venting is provided. I questioned him twice. But, he stuck by his answer.
    HUD for one, ....Then the Local AHJ, as well as the Manufacturer's specifications.

"If" the HVAC Equipment is not "Listed" for M.H. usage on the accompanying paperwork, then it's not allowed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    Seems like at a service school some years ago the instructor was talking about furnaces needing to be rated for MH. He went on to say that "most" of the Trane furnaces were now rated for it and to check listing to make sure.

I never do anything with MH so I didn't pay too close of attention to that part so I may be wrong but I don't think so.
    BNM, to the Best of My Knowledge, .... Trane does not make any "Listed" Heating/Cooling Equipment for M.H. Usage.

And, ...Out here where I am, M.H. work is at least 30% of what I do.

Post Likes
    Attached Images Attached Images   

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in