Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 27
  1. #14
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    68
    Post Likes
    Like I said above, the NEC doesn't denote directionality, but specifies the device has to be installed per manufacturer's instructions. So if the manufacturer doesn't say otherwise you can do what you want.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    in a house, Appomattox, Va.
    Posts
    4,664
    Post Likes
    I've noticed that flat plugs w ground have the cord on the ground pin side, so if the ground is down, wire lays flat. if ground is up, the cord comes out top and droops over, pulling on the plug rather than hanging straight down.
    Col 3:23


    questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

  3. #16
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    68
    Post Likes
    In my 10 years as an Electrician all I've ever heard is people trying to come up with clever explanations to accommodate their OCD on receptacle orientation. There is nothing in code except on counters. Just accept it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  4. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    23,611
    Post Likes
    How about when they made the red light green light change on MCC panels?

    That both confused me and pissed me off at the same time.


    Quote Originally Posted by MPeterson21 View Post
    In my 10 years as an Electrician all I've ever heard is people trying to come up with clever explanations to accommodate their OCD on receptacle orientation. There is nothing in code except on counters. Just accept it.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

  5. #18
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    68
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    How about when they made the red light green light change on MCC panels?

    That both confused me and pissed me off at the same time.
    What is very stupid about that change is power plants use red in the opposite of green in general industry (NFPA 79). It's all an ego thing.

    I really hate standards that aren't really standards. When I train apprentices I continually tell myself to leave my OCD at home but explain why some people do things one way or another.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    25,925
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    OCD is just a created / applied label for the quite natural human tendency to attempt to simplify one's world. Forming a habit to do something exactly the same way frees up brain power as you don't have to critically assess habitual items each time.

    This happens in thought processes all the time - hence my signature line. <g>



    Quote Originally Posted by MPeterson21 View Post
    What is very stupid about that change is power plants use red in the opposite of green in general industry (NFPA 79). It's all an ego thing.

    I really hate standards that aren't really standards. When I train apprentices I continually tell myself to leave my OCD at home but explain why some people do things one way or another.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Jamestown, NY
    Posts
    68
    Post Likes
    I know it simplifies thinking for people but it's unfair to apprentices to be forced into someone's way. I had quite a few trainer's that obsessed about things that were so wrong that it made work difficult.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    in a house, Appomattox, Va.
    Posts
    4,664
    Post Likes
    I've seen it go the other way, give some leeway and people go with "the laziest way"
    Col 3:23


    questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    11
    Post Likes
    The NEC does not specify up/down orientation for 15A & 20A receptacles, it is purely job specs or personal preference, anyone who says one way is the correct way & the other is not, is wrong. NEC code committees have refused to touch the issue, and professional electricians forums will lock topics posted about ground up/down.

    30A & 50A receptacles for electric dryers & ranges need to be mounted ground prong up (3-wire dryer or range receptacles would be mounted neutral prong up since they are non-grounding dual voltage devices) to accommodate the right angle plugs molded on the cord, it just screams ignorance when a receptacle was mounted incorrectly. Canada requires them to be mounted sideways in a very specific location behind the appliance.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Bay Area California
    Posts
    23,611
    Post Likes
    Ground is always down. I am right.

    Anyone who install an outlet upside down, will find it proper the next time they see it.


    Quote Originally Posted by norcal01 View Post
    The NEC does not specify up/down orientation for 15A & 20A receptacles, it is purely job specs or personal preference, anyone who says one way is the correct way & the other is not, is wrong. NEC code committees have refused to touch the issue, and professional electricians forums will lock topics posted about ground up/down.

    30A & 50A receptacles for electric dryers & ranges need to be mounted ground prong up (3-wire dryer or range receptacles would be mounted neutral prong up since they are non-grounding dual voltage devices) to accommodate the right angle plugs molded on the cord, it just screams ignorance when a receptacle was mounted incorrectly. Canada requires them to be mounted sideways in a very specific location behind the appliance.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

    I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,219
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I've got a touch of OCD in me. Nothing too medical, it's just a hunch of mine.

    Outlets need to be installed with the ground down. You'll never see an outlet with the ground up in my house.

    On a bit of a tangent, did I ever tell you of the time I was a child of maybe 10, and I intentionally dropped a penny on the hot legs of a plug that wasn't all the way in? Oh yeah, got to meet mister sparky . . . LOL


    Ground down here too, ... And, when You saw "Sparky", did ya hear the Bee Gees wailing "Stayin' Alivvvvvvvvvve!!!!"?

    I can remember back in he early 60s, when We were puttiing up a Xmas tree, & my Dad wanted to test the lights, ... I don't know why,... May be "the Devil made me do it"? But I saw a light that didn't have a bulb in the socket, so I put my finger in there. It was exhilarating!!!!
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,219
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    That is correct.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,219
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat22 View Post
    I've noticed that flat plugs w ground have the cord on the ground pin side, so if the ground is down, wire lays flat. if ground is up, the cord comes out top and droops over, pulling on the plug rather than hanging straight down.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •