Post Likes

Trane Absorbtion Chiller - addition isolation valve.

Hello. I’m a plant engineer, and while I know systems I’m relatively new to the absorbtion chillers on the site ( Trane, steam fed, 1,000 ton). In June the chiller went down due to plugged screens which ‘salted’ up the machine. After cutting open the belly and cleaning/replacing the screens the machine was sealed back up and started today. About 20 minutes after starting the machine went down again, due to a shorted motor on the bribe pumps. My Trane tech is telling me he never check that motor as it was ‘fine’. Now I’m looking at a $00k repair bill, mostly from having to drain the brine, then refill. The question I asked is can we install isolation valves on each side of the brine pumps so in the future I don’t need to drain all the brine ? Trane is telling me no, that the valves have the possibility to leak and cause issue, however this now the second time in a month I have to open the machine up, introducing god knows what for containments.

Post Likes
    It is possible to " suspend " the solution . It is a bit tricky but possible. I have performed the task on model " A " & " B " machines . The procedure is listed in the Trane absorbtion chiller manual .

Post Likes
    It is possible but I would never do it in house. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if you have equipment that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars and you don't pay a contractor to PM said equipment you are asking for trouble. You should have a contract with an outfit that is big enough to have insurance for when they miss maintenance like this and are responsible for the costs associated with it. That being said, I'd also contract a large enough outfit to do repairs like this so they are responsible for the costs when they miss things like this. A chiller this size is very easy to destroy if you cut corners.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrf150 View Post
    Hello. I’m a plant engineer, and while I know systems I’m relatively new to the absorbtion chillers on the site ( Trane, steam fed, 1,000 ton). In June the chiller went down due to plugged screens which ‘salted’ up the machine. After cutting open the belly and cleaning/replacing the screens the machine was sealed back up and started today. About 20 minutes after starting the machine went down again, due to a shorted motor on the bribe pumps. My Trane tech is telling me he never check that motor as it was ‘fine’. Now I’m looking at a $00k repair bill, mostly from having to drain the brine, then refill. The question I asked is can we install isolation valves on each side of the brine pumps so in the future I don’t need to drain all the brine ? Trane is telling me no, that the valves have the possibility to leak and cause issue, however this now the second time in a month I have to open the machine up, introducing god knows what for containments.
    You dont say what style of Trane absorber it is but guessing that your needing a "brine" pump I am assuming it's a newer Horizon style that has individual pumps as opposed to the earlier A and B style machines that had one motor with 3 separate impellers. The overwhelming majority of the cost of your repair is not from "having to drain the brine" but the cost of the pump, those pumps are ridiculously expensive, nobody puts valves on those pumps and I would never recommend it either.

My question would be why did the screens plug up in the first place? Are you not having your machine serviced, maintained and samples pulled on a regular schedule? If your trying to save money and only call when it's broken you are going down a very expensive road with your absorber, luckily for you it'll be a short road because the machine will be junk and need replaced in a very short period of time. If the screens were plugged up did they filter the solution going back in the machine?
    If you dont stand behind our troops, please feel free...........to stand in front of them.

Post Likes
    The Trane model "A " had three individual pumps ; the model " B " and " C " had a single motor with three impellers .

Post Likes
    You can suspend the charge , just pray it doesn't burp.

Post Likes

Trane Absorbtion Chiller - addition isolation valve.

We had some York’s with butterfly valves installed from the factory. Every time we closed them for pump repair, the valves would start leaking and we’d end up pushing all of the solution and water out anyway to replace the valve! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk