Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Sante Fe RX continually cycling

New member, Hello all and an advance thanks for any input !

I purchased a used Sante Fe RX dehumidifier Model #4030440.
    Seller and i carried the unit to my van in an almost horizontal position.
    Transported upright, moved to my basement upright and installed. I left the dehumidifier sit until the next morning.
    With the fan switch in either ON/AUTO, once the humidistat dial is turned to start the compressor it runs for approx 10 seconds, quits for 10 seconds, and continually repeats that. The fan also quits regardless of position when the compressor quits. The fan however, runs on ON without the dehumidifier on continuously as it should.

Hoping i haven't damaged it!

Post Likes
    Did you confirm the unit worked before you transported it?

It sounds like you took the right precautions when moving it.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply kdean1
    I did see the dehumidifier working prior but should have payed more attention to how long it ran.
    It started spewing water from the drain hose, likely because it had not been fully emptied since being disconnected. It was in use until the first week of July when the seller had whole house dehumidifier installed.
    I questioned carrying it horizontally but the guy said it was ok, and i'm sure i read online; someone specifically asked Therma-Stor about that. They replied it would be ok so long as it was allowed to stand for a while.

IF we allowed oil to escape the compressor, is it possible to tilt the unit enough to allow any oil trapped to return? I do see that the routing could prevent oil return if just stood up. I can't say that i know how long it takes oil to return to the compressor anyway! Might be grasping at straws here Lol

Post Likes
    Would leaving the dehumidifier sit for a couple more days allow any migrated oil to
    return to the compressor, if in fact that is the problem, or just a waste of time?

Correction: I stated the compressor runs for approx 10 seconds; it's is only about 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Tyannt; 07-28-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: add info

Post Likes
    This is not a oil problem. When the dehu operates, what is the air temp/%RH/in and out. Sound like the unit is out of refrigerant and cycling on the thermal protector.
    You probably need a new cooling coil.
    Temp/%RH will tell the story.
    Give us the serial number.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Teddy Bear,

You asked, when the dehumidifier operates, what is the Temp/%RH/ in and out.
    The dehumidifier hasn't run long enough to do anything; runs 5 seconds then shuts off for 5 seconds,
    continually repeating in this manner. I have a small digital weather station in the basement that is showing 72F / 97% humidity but i don't think that's what you're asking, are you?

The dehumidifier is a Therma-Stor Santa Fe RX Model#4030440, Ser#K1072578

If the dehumidifier was working when i picked it up, can simply transporting it cause the problems i am having ?

Post Likes
    You are cycling on the compressor over-load protector.
    Not a transportation problem.
    My guess/hope is that is capacitor problem. Let me do a check here.
    I will be back.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Post Likes
    Good Morning teddy bear!
    I'll be around, appreciated!

Post Likes
    This unit was made Nov 2010.
    Does the compressor really run or just try to run. If it runs for five seconds, and cycles the protector device, the capacitor is ok but the compressor is probably failing. If the compressor does not run but tries for 5 secs and trips the protector, then there is chance that the compressor is ok and the run capacitor may have failed.
    Keep me posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear

Post Likes
    Hi Teddy Bear...
    I've watched as the compressor starts and it seems to stabilize and run smoothly for the time it runs, and sounds like a normal start & run sound. Sounds the same as when the seller demo'd it for me.
    It feels like it is running with my hand on it, and then both the fan and compressor stops.

When you say "cycles the protective device" do you mean the device on top/ under the compressor? Or, the Start capacitor? Is the "Run Capacitor" the "Start Capacitor" ?
    Just trying to understand the correct terminology...

Appreciate the info! Which would make the most sense to replace first?
    I suppose i could TEST them for continuity, yes?

PS.. Would i be doing any damage if i turned the dehumidifier on and left it for say 15 minutes to see if anything changes?
    Last edited by Tyannt; 07-29-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: add Info

Post Likes
    https://santa-fe-products.com/pdf/Sa..._Rx_Manual.pdf

Doing some more research. Here is a manual for the Santa Fe RX.
    There is a refrigerant low pressure switch that also could cause the compressor to cycle. This would cycle the compressor if the system is low on refrigerant.
    Checking the amps draw will determine the function of the compressor. <6 amps is the typical amount of a compressor will draw.
    Next is to check for a refrigerant leak. Moving a unit on its side may cause a refrigerant leak.
    May be worth having a small appliance service company check the unit for a leak.
    Keep me posted.\

Regards Teddy Bear

Post Likes
    Good Afternoon teddy bear!

I have since found that the compressor relay has a reset switch that is not being pulled in when the unit is plugged in, indicating a problem somewhere. I jumped the wires for the low pressure switch and the dehumidifier now stays running. Only left it run like that for about 10 seconds to verify it would continue running longer than 5 seconds Lol

Any objections to me bypassing the low pressure switch for maybe 30 seconds to see if the refrigerant line the defrost switch is starts to get cold?

Appreciated!

Post Likes
    YOu need a tech to put a set of gauges on the unit to comfirm adequate refrigerant. This confirms that the unit is low on refrigerant. So you have good compressor but are low on refrigerant. You can jump the low pressure switch but this will suck in more air. I do not see any other problem with extending the a couple minutes.
    The coil should ice if the charge would be adequate. If the cooling coil is leaking, part are available. Fixing a 10 year old unit may not be a good deal because of the age of the components.
    Take it back where you bought it or to a tech to check the charge and find the leak. you could get lucky and find a simple leak. The rest sounds like it works.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast