Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New HVAC System - Low Delta-T

Post Likes
    That kink is a problem. And the return at 24”X8” is undersized.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    What should the return be? The return is pulling from 2 grates in the house, both of which feed into that trunk.

Post Likes
    The trunk is undersized. It’s close, but too small.
    24X10 or 24X12 would be good.
    What sizes are the return grills?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info Rider. I will bring that up.

Does everything else look acceptable? The dings, burned serial number, soldering job? Is the coil not matching with the OD unit acceptable?

Post Likes
    The job is sloppy, IMO.
    It’s functional but rough.

Post Likes
    You state, “New line set,” looks more like they reused existing ( nothing wrong with that ) and just added a small extensions of new copper inside and outside. Chances the kinked 90 got bent when they removed the piston metering device and added the TEV when they where tightening the nut? BTW the manufacturers want a certain torque on those nuts,..doubt they did that but anyway... Looks to be a Rheem TEV by the number on the valve?, not saying thats a bad thing. Probably made by others with Rheem number on it.

If that kink happened when they installed the TEV, and it was OK prior, ( with the piston ) even when they redo that kink, guessing you’ll still have the same problem? as you had a piston initially and where complaining about the low DT. If the kink was there on initial install, then that certainly could be one of your issues.

I would have them install something to seal the hole where the lineset penetrate the outside of the residence also, as you asked for any more comments about the install.

Also possible when they installed the system initially they used the piston that came with the ID coil. Somewhat of a non matched ID to OD coil set up, but your suppose to match the piston to the OD unit. Certainly it could have been changed.

That braze job by the indoor insulated vapor line looks like they did not install wet rags to cool that area, as the rubber grommet is melted and the metal painted skin is burnt, point being is that coil is aluminum then transitions to a small amount of copper ( where you hook up the lineset ) hopefully that transition piece does not develope a leak down the road due to excessive heat and compromising the transition while brazing? Do not know if that ever happened thou..Who knows maybe they did use a wet rag on the other side.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 07-28-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Post Likes
    That's pretty cringe worthy. I agree the entire return system is undersized but I'm guessing that the cardboard or whatever that's covering the airfilter might be leaking enough air by to make up for it. Two concerns-1. The 90 on the liquid line as it turns into the evap coil, looks like the inside radius has started to convex in on itself, possibly causing a restriction or at least a future leak point. 2. The txv equalizer line going into the coil looks like it might be kinked or rubbing against the sheet. I'm thinking if this is the care they took installing it, not much chance they did any better sizing the equipment, setting up correct airflow and refrigerant charge. Have your return and supply static pressure measured and do the return before and after the airfilter. Does the secondary drain line on the evap coil just dump on the ground? I dont see any hosing or tubing connected to it

Post Likes
    https://www.suppliesdepot.com/buy/pr...-VALVE/1185992

Show that tev/txv to be 3.5T-4T.

Also, why would there be burnt paper/coil INSIDE the case? Pictures 7-9 and 12 are behind the case panel. Either there was a leak there and it was repaired by a tech or mfr did this. I must admit I have never seen this from a mfr, though!!

With what I see, I would question the entire install. As we have said, why is it always a Goodman?!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I'm pretty sure that 90 into the txv is restricted, somebody didn't use a backup wrench.

Post Likes
    I have made notes of all of these things and will discuss with the owner these concerns. Anyone ever handled pushing back on the installers and asking them to gut and reinstall the system the correct way?

I would think that I should expect the 80% setup to work as efficiently as an 80% can? I would’ve hoped the installers would have known to redo the return to get the appropriate return in the bid they did.

They were one of the top reviewed hvac people around and have been for a while. Hundreds of 5 star reviews over the years on multiple sites. I did my research, extensively. Just didn’t think it could be botched that badly. I really like the owner. The installer, not so much.

What should I expect?

I really do appreciate everyone’s help on this. I’ve learned so much. Thank you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scott-ish View Post
    I have made notes of all of these things and will discuss with the owner these concerns. Anyone ever handled pushing back on the installers and asking them to gut and reinstall the system the correct way?

I would think that I should expect the 80% setup to work as efficiently as an 80% can? I would’ve hoped the installers would have known to redo the return to get the appropriate return in the bid they did.

They were one of the top reviewed hvac people around and have been for a while. Hundreds of 5 star reviews over the years on multiple sites. I did my research, extensively. Just didn’t think it could be botched that badly. I really like the owner. The installer, not so much.

What should I expect?

I really do appreciate everyone’s help on this. I’ve learned so much. Thank you.
    Not sure exactly what you mean by the highlighted portion, but the only thing that is 80% efficient is the furnace. It is 80% efficient based on the fuel consumption and has nothing to do with the performance of the a/c other than the blower moving air.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Not sure exactly what you mean by the highlighted portion, but the only thing that is 80% efficient is the furnace. It is 80% efficient based on the fuel consumption and has nothing to do with the performance of the a/c other than the blower moving air.
    Meaning, I know it’s not a super efficient, high dollar, system. I would just expect it to be able to cool the house well. Not taking 3-4 hours to cool the house 2 degrees.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scott-ish View Post
    Meaning, I know it’s not a super efficient, high dollar, system. I would just expect it to be able to cool the house well. Not taking 3-4 hours to cool the house 2 degrees.
    Okay.
    The efficiency of the a/c is measured differently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in