Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Possible Problem-Leak Saver Direct Inject Refrigerant Leak Sealer

I am at a loss as to what has happened to 3 ton carrier that had small leak in coil. Customer said they had 410 topped off each year due to small leak, they now wanted leak fixed. Installed Leak Saver Direct Inject Refrigerant Leak Sealer and set sub-cooling to proper reading. Unit did not cool after installing leak sealer. After checking several times next day my gauges now read 100psi on low side and 0 psi on high side. Never come across this befor, could it be that I have somehow increased the leak and if so, why is the low side pressure holding at 100 ?

Post Likes
    Gauges on backward, dryer plugged with easy seal.

Post Likes
    You caused more problems using that leak sealer junk.
    That should only be used on systems that nobody cares if they die or not.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Agree with others. Leak sealer has plugged up something. Thats a last resort product for old systems that you have nothing to lose on. I dont use it much either, it causes problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I don't use it...... period.

Post Likes
    Snake oil, would never use.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Why didn't you locate the leak and repair it?

Quote Originally Posted by HLWest View Post
    I am at a loss as to what has happened to 3 ton carrier that had small leak in coil. Customer said they had 410 topped off each year due to small leak, they now wanted leak fixed. Installed Leak Saver Direct Inject Refrigerant Leak Sealer and set sub-cooling to proper reading. Unit did not cool after installing leak sealer. After checking several times next day my gauges now read 100psi on low side and 0 psi on high side. Never come across this befor, could it be that I have somehow increased the leak and if so, why is the low side pressure holding at 100 ?
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Your leak sealer plugged the high side port which may have been where the leak was all along since with 100 low side it sounds low.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HLWest View Post
    Is this a split system or package unit?
    High side or liquid line at service valve showing zero?
    The leak stop may have clogged the Schrader valve that is showing zero.
    If it was a clogged expansion device , the high would be more than the low side. Suction would pull down to near zero.

Post Likes
    Or your hose end is not depressing the shrader. I had a marginal shut off doing that. The depresser would not depress the shrader on all access points. I put another shut off on and problem went away. I realize you stated unit does not cool but this is something to check.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacman View Post
    Is this a split system or package unit?
    High side or liquid line at service valve showing zero?
    The leak stop may have clogged the Schrader valve that is showing zero.
    If it was a clogged expansion device , the high would be more than the low side. Suction would pull down to near zero.

This is a typical split system, evaporator coil in furnace and condenser outside, Thanks for your help

Post Likes
    Did you really need the " If you were a real tech " ??

Post Likes
    Most real techs would have informed the customer of the correct ways to locate and repair leaks. If it was you that just decided to put that crap in a refer system , without any explanation of what the results might be, then you own it!
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast