+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't find a 1 ton condenser and can't use a mini-split.

Post Likes
    Or use a 3/4 horsepower medium temp condenser for a walkin cooler.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevejoe11 View Post
    Just throwing this out there, what if you installed a 1 ton ductless outdoor unit with a 1.5 ton piston coil and simply remove the piston? Then you’d have to alter the condenser wiring and install a basic contactor to control fan and comp, kinda silly but would work no?
    It would be easier to just get a 12,000 BTU ducted mini split.

Post Likes
    Mitsubishi makes a 1 ton ducted air handler: SVZ-KP12NA It modulates down to 4300BTU/hr.

https://meus.mylinkdrive.com/files/M...BMITTAL-en.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincompressor View Post
    It would work. It would work. You need a power supply to generate the 40-50 volt DC "s signal" wire.
    I was thinking bypass all controls in the unit and install a contactor to send power to directly to the fan and compressor using a 24v circuit. And I’m nt saying this is the best solution, I’m just saying in theory it could work

Post Likes
    I was thinking bypass all controls in the unit and install a contactor to send power to directly to the fan and compressor using a 24v circuit. And I’m nt saying this is the best solution, I’m just saying in theory it could work
    Minis don't work that way, several things are constantly being tracked and adjustments are being made accordingly.

Post Likes
    An old non inverter mini maybe but the newer ones use DC compressors or variable frequency drives that monitor a lot of other parameters.
    You could butcher a window ac and remove the evap coil. Use the supco bullet cap tube size chart and put a cap tube on the evap of the split system. Run a 1/4 x 3/8 line set

Post Likes
    Hi Everyone, sorry I havent replied and updated earlier but I've had problems logging on. For some reason I log on but only see one post I made years ago. Today I thought I'd try to do a search for myself and it worked, and I was able to find this discussion, very strange.

I have to apologize to some who suggested to use certain units and I said it would not work. The reason was I thought they were strictly mini-splits, not knowing that they were actually condenser systems. We ended using a Comfort Air unit CMA12 with a regular A-Coil on top of the furnace. It works great after putting start components on it due to the TXV. WORD OF CAUTION, put a liquid line access Tee in, the unit was overcharged since we had short refrigerant lines.
    THANK you to ALL for your kindness, I was very confused, not knowing to do, we are 20% over sized which is ok, using a 1.5 ton unit we would have been over 85% oversized. We adjusted everthing and it works great.
    Rich

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Hi Everyone, sorry I havent replied and updated earlier but I've had problems logging on. For some reason I log on but only see one post I made years ago. Today I thought I'd try to do a search for myself and it worked, and I was able to find this discussion, very strange.

I have to apologize to some who suggested to use certain units and I said it would not work. The reason was I thought they were strictly mini-splits, not knowing that they were actually condenser systems. We ended using a Comfort Air unit CMA12 with a regular A-Coil on top of the furnace. It works great after putting start components on it due to the TXV. WORD OF CAUTION, put a liquid line access Tee in, the unit was overcharged since we had short refrigerant lines.
    THANK you to ALL for your kindness, I was very confused, not knowing to do, we are 20% over sized which is ok, using a 1.5 ton unit we would have been over 85% oversized. We adjusted everthing and it works great.
    Rich
    Awesome

Post Likes
    Be simpler to use the 1 ton Heat Controller condenser I pointed out!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Be simpler to use the 1 ton Heat Controller condenser I pointed out!
    BaldLoonie, I appreciate you recommendation, AND we DID USE the Heat_Controller you recommended, it was relabeled under the Comfort Air label.
    I tried to order through two suppliers and they refused to order it, thinking it was a mini split and I finally got it through United Refrigeration who actually took the time to call Mars/Heat-Controller in Jackson, Michigan, had the unit in two days and worked well except it requires a hard start kit when applied to a TXV system.

Post Likes
    Good to hear!

Post Likes
    BaldLoonie, I appreciate you recommendation, AND we DID USE the Heat_Controller you recommended, it was relabeled under the Comfort Air label.
    I tried to order through two suppliers and they refused to order it, thinking it was a mini split and I finally got it through United Refrigeration who actually took the time to call Mars/Heat-Controller in Jackson, Michigan, had the unit in two days and worked well except it requires a hard start kit when applied to a TXV system.
    How did the one ton compare in price? Was it more or less than a 1.5 ton? I do several apartment buildings and a 1 ton would probably be about correct for them too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I paid $ and I think that was with shipping. The thing I don't like is the unit is made in China, metal is somewhat thin, very light about 90 pounds, (Small) but seems well built. It fits my BTU requirement.
    Last edited by beenthere; 08-27-2019 at 12:05 PM.

14. Likes jbhenergy liked this post.
    Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Install a 2 ton R-410 system with a piston and charge it with R-134.

PHM
    --------

Need a one ton condenser with coil, heat gain is 10,300 sensible and 2,700 latent. American Standard and Rheem starts at 1.5 tons. We can't use a mini in this particular installation and customer won't consider a Goodman that I found. Any suggestions of another brand?
    Thanks
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in