Post Likes

Cooking equipment Training

Does anyone know how to go about getting certified or trained officially In this field.
    I've been a cooking equipment technician for about three and half years now and I'd like to explore options with other companies and ideally make more money. I'm just concerned that without any documentation I wouldn't be able to accurately convey what I am capable of.
    Any ideas?

Post Likes
    If your current job isn't seeing to you getting the certifications that you wish then leave them. Most companies are hard up for help these days and are willing to pay up. If you excel beyond your peers at where you work and make your company money, then you will be worth more to them. Find out what the average tech brings in at where you work. Then beat it. Once you understand sales mixed with being a tech you will be ready to open your own biz. I did. Celebrating 35 years in business this year

Post Likes
    Yea unfortunately they aren't. As the owners say "we've done only hvacr for over 20 or so years, it's like a sundae and food service is like the cherry on top. The sundaes good whether or not you have the cherry, but it still nice to have a cherry." I mean I get that mentality, but I feel like that keeps me hostage here because other place want way more experience or certifications. Which I "dont need" currently.

That's not to say that they're aholes but it almost feels like I'm setting my self up for failure in the long run.

How did you go about validating you skill set enough to start your own business?
    Btw thanks for the reply definitely something to stand by.

Also congrats on the success.

Post Likes
    That was a long time ago. I owned a video game route set up in different food establishments. I had about 200 machines that I repaired when they broke. I knew I already had the contacts and was looking for more ways to serve them so I started off repairing their equipment. Stuff was simpler back then. I still remember the first thing I fixed. A Wells warmer. The infinite switch burned at the connectors. While certification on equipment can make a repair go easier don't rely on it to fix all problems. Showing up on time for a customer and giving them a fair price will go a lot farther than any certification.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Too bad the company you're with now won't make the training your wanting available to you.

Since you already have 3 1/2 years experience, I think you're already a great candidate to move on. Everyone has to start out somewhere...and you've already done that.

Getting on with a larger, more established service company would get you the training opportunities that you'd benefit from. Most of them are CFESA certified companies. They want to be that to have greater opportunities for becoming a warranty service provider for manufacturers. To MAINTAIN that certification, they'd want YOU to get trained and certified too. THEN they'd eventually send you to factory service seminars and classes, where you'd gain even greater knowledge - not only on that manufacturer's own equipment, but knowledge which can be applied to OTHER equipment.

Granted, your relatively limited experience might not initially get you the pay you wanted, but that can quickly change as you prove your worth.

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Post Likes
    Is the company you are at now certified with the cooking equipment manufacturers to perform service on their equipment?

Post Likes
    Discuss your training with the company in which you work. Do they really have no offers for you?