Thread: No cold air? Please help

Post Likes

No cold air? Please help

Appreciate any advice I can get.

Background info:

2 story house, one outside ac unit, indoor unit in my attic, 3 zones.

My wife called me today and told me that no cold air was coming through the vents. When I got home I took a look at the outdoor unit, it was running as usual. Went into the 110 degree attic and that unit was also on. I opened the area that contains the filter, changed it since it was dirty, and felt the air blowing through and it was pretty strong(it was definitely cold air). The problem seems to come after this point because I dont seem to be getting any cold air through any vents. Its lukewarm air and just barely pushing through.

I took a quick look at the duct work and dont see any obvious issues.

Any ideas? Thank you

Post Likes
    What did your service tech say?
    Doug

Post Likes
    They are closed for the day, I will call tomorrow but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask here in the meantime. Maybe there was something I could do to fix it.

Post Likes
    I think you have done all you can.
    Doug

Post Likes
    After closer inspection, it seems what I thought was cold air was actually just colder than attic air blowing through the filter area.

I went back outside and it seems the fan is working in the outdoor unit, but the condenser is not kicking on ( its blowing out cooler air).

Anything ai can try before having the hvac tech come by tomorrow?

Post Likes
    Sorry, but you posted on a site that doesn’t allow DIY instruction. Per the bright red banner at the top of the page.
    I’d say just wait it out till tomorrow.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Best you can do in your situation is to turn it off at the thermostat until your tech arrives. Often times a problem that starts with an inexpensive part failing, is left to run, and can turn into thousands of dollars by the time the tech gets there. If you see ice anywhere, turn the fan switch to 'on' as well. This is so the evap coil is de-iced when the tech arrives. Can't check the charge with any ice on the coil

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in