Thread: Appion G5 Twin

Post Likes

Appion G5 Twin

I've been using the G5 Twin for a few years now after switching from the Yellow Jacket XLT.

Question, is it acceptable to pump pure liquid refrigerant with this? The manual indicates that it may be noisy, but is not required to throttle.

" When using 3/8 hoses and manifolds, some slight valve throttling on the Manifold Gauge Set may be helpful in reducing compressor noise in some conditions (such as with very cold refrigerant), though it is not required for proper operation of the machine."

Also, when closing the inlet valve to purge the unit it becomes very noisy and has a strong vibration. Is this normal? I don't want to damage my unit.

I had it apart today to investigate a high discharge pressure and the valves/cylinders are in great shape. I did not find any restriction or reason for the head to be running high.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    I've been using the G5 Twin for a few years now after switching from the Yellow Jacket XLT.

Question, is it acceptable to pump pure liquid refrigerant with this? The manual indicates that it may be noisy, but is not required to throttle.

" When using 3/8 hoses and manifolds, some slight valve throttling on the Manifold Gauge Set may be helpful in reducing compressor noise in some conditions (such as with very cold refrigerant), though it is not required for proper operation of the machine."

Also, when closing the inlet valve to purge the unit it becomes very noisy and has a strong vibration. Is this normal? I don't want to damage my unit.

I had it apart today to investigate a high discharge pressure and the valves/cylinders are in great shape. I did not find any restriction or reason for the head to be running high.
    There is no purge valve. Valves are open or closed. If you want to turn the valves the machine should be off. If you turn the inlet knob with the machine running it bypasses the high side back into the low.

Post Likes
    You will need to throttle the inlet. It will let you know when.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    You will need to throttle the inlet. It will let you know when.

You can if you want to slow it down but don't touch the valves on the G5. Leave them wide open.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    Completely acceptable, and it's welcomed. The G5 was designed to pump straight liquid refrigerant, and doing so won't damage the machine.

Iceman is correct, we recommend leaving the valves wide open. If you do need to throttle, do it at the manifold/valve core tools. Also, noisy recovery is usually a sign that some sort of output restriction is present (see here). Use 3/8" hoses on every connection, remove all restrictions (valve cores, core depressors, low loss fittings, etc), and fully open all valves and you should see fast & quiet recovery without the need to throttle.

7. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH, Core_d, TruTech-Bill liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Appion-ChrisP View Post
    Completely acceptable, and it's welcomed. The G5 was designed to pump straight liquid refrigerant, and doing so won't damage the machine.

Iceman is correct, we recommend leaving the valves wide open. If you do need to throttle, do it at the manifold/valve core tools. Also, noisy recovery is usually a sign that some sort of output restriction is present (see here). Use 3/8" hoses on every connection, remove all restrictions (valve cores, core depressors, low loss fittings, etc), and fully open all valves and you should see fast & quiet recovery without the need to throttle.
    Mine and my coworkers definitely dont like liquid. It needs to be throttled in or it screams shakes and stalls out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitz View Post
    Mine and my coworkers definitely dont like liquid. It needs to be throttled in or it screams shakes and stalls out.

Restriction on outlet. Get a bigger hose and hook to vapor port

10. Likes Zamoramax liked this post
    Post Likes
    X2^^^

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Hmmm, I've pumped a lot of liquid with mine and never a problem, never throttled either. Something else is going on.

13. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post
    Post Likes
    I ordered a 3/8" hose with 1/4" connections this morning. Lots of great information on those Appion videos as well.

Post Likes
    I use the middle setting of the suction valve to clear the machine after recovery.