Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Are these two not playing nice?

I had a 4-ton system installed in my place in 2010. I was completely happy with everything about it until 18 months ago. The condensing unit deteriorated to the point where I had to replace it. It was replaced with a new condenser which is of a different manufacturer than the air handler. Since the installation the system does not cool the house down. I'm in South Florida. The system runs between 18 and 20 hours a day which is just insane. I've had my AC guy out I don't know how many times and nothing seems out of the ordinary to him. Yet I'm still getting ridiculous electric bills. The condensing unit is a Rheem RA1448AJ1NA mfg 6/2018. The air handler is an International Comfort Products FXM4X4800A1 mfg 6/2010. Can anyone tell me if there's an inherent incompatibility between these two devices? I appreciate your time. Regards to everyone

Post Likes
    It's obviously not an AHRI match. Can it work? Maybe, but no one can confirm that just looking at model numbers.

Was the old unit R22 or 410a?
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    One thing that's definitely different is that the ICP unit energized the reversing valve in cooling as most do. The Rheem energizes it in heating. If he didn't get the control wiring and thermostat programming correct, that may be the problem.
    Bob Boan

Post Likes
    Thank you for the reply. The documents a 410A for the air handler

Post Likes
    That doesn't means it's compatible. A 2010 AHU was probably for a 13 SEER system at best and may have been rated for r22 also. The old unit could have been r22.

A new, 14+ SEER outdoor unit is probably not compatible.

I don't have any confidence in a tech that would combine the two. He tried to make a quick buck by doing it cheap instead of doing it right.
    Bob Boan

Post Likes
    Thanks for all that I do appreciate it

Post Likes
    I have discovered some large air leaks in the ducts which have caused high electric bills. Or perhaps he didn't adjust the charge properly.
    You may need to have it checked by a different contractor.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobboan View Post
    That doesn't means it's compatible. A 2010 AHU was probably for a 13 SEER system at best and may have been rated for r22 also. The old unit could have been r22.

A new, 14+ SEER outdoor unit is probably not compatible.

I don't have any confidence in a tech that would combine the two. He tried to make a quick buck by doing it cheap instead of doing it right.
    Puh-leez. A 14 SEER outdoor unit would work just fine with a 13 SEER indoor unit of the same capacity. The difference is usually a TXV instead of a piston or a constant torque blower motor instead of a PSC.

There's something wrong - the tech is just not looking hard enough or ignoring something blatant.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Puh-leez. A 14 SEER outdoor unit would work just fine with a 13 SEER indoor unit of the same capacity. The difference is usually a TXV instead of a piston or a constant torque blower motor instead of a PSC.

There's something wrong - the tech is just not looking hard enough or ignoring something blatant.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Thanks, I was going to comment similarly!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobboan View Post
    One thing that's definitely different is that the ICP unit energized the reversing valve in cooling as most do. The Rheem energizes it in heating. If he didn't get the control wiring and thermostat programming correct, that may be the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Or perhaps he didn't adjust the charge properly.
    You may need to have it checked by a different contractor.
    I am on the same page as these 2.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Seems to be a current product meant for today's efficiencies. I wouldn't think it would be a mismatch enough to cause any operational issues.

Post Likes
    I have installed a lot of frankenstein'd systems for friends and family. They can work just fine. Warranty? No.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I looked up and found the manual for that Air Handler, that coil shows to have a strainer in the line. I'm wondering what was the issue with the old condenser, if something from the new install, or the old condenser could have been in the line and got into that strainer. Of course the tech should be able to figure this out if this is the case.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast