Post Likes

ProPress Gas fittings no more?

I overheard someone at a plumbing supply house talking about how ProPress Gas fittings have been taken off of the market last week. I've been trying to find more details about this, but I haven't been able to come up with anything from the internet yet.

I know that in much of the country copper isn't allowed for natural gas piping, but it is here and we occasionally do use it.

Has anyone else heard anything about the ProPress G fittings being recalled?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    1st Im hearing about it.

Post Likes
    Unless I’ve understood wrong, the “propress” line is for water only. The copper ftgs aren’t meant for gas. The “megapress” line however is for black iron pipe. There also is two different lines of fittings under megapress. Gas “orange oring “ and water/steam “black oring”

I have not heard any of the sort of discontinuing either of the above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalman0880 View Post
    Unless I’ve understood wrong, the “propress” line is for water only. The copper ftgs aren’t meant for gas. The “megapress” line however is for black iron pipe. There also is two different lines of fittings under megapress. Gas “orange oring “ and water/steam “black oring”

I have not heard any of the sort of discontinuing either of the above.

Pro-press has copper GAS fittings. These contain Yellow O-rings for use with gas and oil!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Ok, here's a picture of the official looking notice a co-worker took at the supply house...

Supposedly they were pulled from the market July 1. I don't know if the recall also includes Apollo or Nibco or whoever else's versions there are. Like I said, I haven't been able to find anything on the Viega's website or anywhere else on the internet about this issue. Luckily a co-worker took this picture of this notice that he saw. Odd.

Anyways, it looks like Viega will provide reimbursement for people to turn in their unused ProPress G fittings (minus a restocking charge), or do an even-up exchange for "MegaPress G" fittings. Not a bad deal there, since I think the MegaPress fittings are more expensive. That doesn't help people who don't have the right ProPress gun along with the $3000 set of jaws to work with MegaPress, though.

If anyone can find this same document on the internet or any other official looking information about the supposed code change (CSA 6.32 / ANSI LC-4), please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by ammoniadog; 07-14-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Pro-press has copper GAS fittings. These contain Yellow O-rings for use with gas and oil!
    Good to know. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Picture didn't load

Post Likes
    Thanks for letting me know the pic wasn't working. I tried linking to the pic from Google Photos, but apparently that doesn't work (although I could see it). Sorry about that. Let's try it this way instead.....