Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    The smans' are user/field calibratable.
    I just recently calibrated my SMAN3 "still working like new". The low side was off by 2.5 degrees and the high side was almost spot on @ 1 degree off. I've taken really good care of them and they've been good to me. I did notice when I changed the batteries, that in the battery compartment, one of the little cross over wires "or whatever there called" from one battery to the other, was getting a little corroded, but I was able to clean it up some. I have no idea where you would buy that little part, but they're working great!
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I just recently calibrated my SMAN3 "still working like new". The low side was off by 2.5 degrees and the high side was almost spot on @ 1 degree off. I've taken really good care of them and they've been good to me. I did notice when I changed the batteries, that in the battery compartment, one of the little cross over wires "or whatever there called" from one battery to the other, was getting a little corroded, but I was able to clean it up some. I have no idea where you would buy that little part, but they're working great!
    I haven't used mine much (I got the AKs shortly after I got the sman).

You may know this, but you can clean it up with vinegar, baking soda and swabs. Sometimes a toothbrush works better. Here's a link.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vin lashon View Post
    I haven't used mine much (I got the AKs shortly after I got the sman).

You may know this, but you can clean it up with vinegar, baking soda and swabs. Sometimes a toothbrush works better. Here's a link.
    Thank you! I looked at it pretty closely, it wouldn't be to hard, just to take a small thin piece of metal, and slightly bend it, and put a small screw through it and into the plastic battery compartment. The metal would probably be better than that thin piece of crossover wire that they're are using. The only reason I keep using them is, they still look like new and work great! By the way, we have an ACE Electronics here, and I've seen some corrosion inhibitor spray in there, I should get some. Check this out http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/n...roduct_id=4324
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" ~ Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Thank you! I looked at it pretty closely, it wouldn't be to hard, just to take a small thin piece of metal, and slightly bend it, and put a small screw through it and into the plastic battery compartment. The metal would probably be better than that thin piece of crossover wire that they're are using. The only reason I keep using them is, they still look like new and work great! By the way, we have an ACE Electronics here, and I've seen some corrosion inhibitor spray in there, I should get some. Check this out http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/n...roduct_id=4324
    Small enough price to pay to protect expensive devices. Good link!

5. Likes Mr Bill liked this post
    Post Likes
    Couple of cents at AutoZone for a packet of bulb grease.

7. Likes Mr Bill liked this post
    Post Likes
    I've used nearly all of the digitals, starting with the AK900's and ending up with the SMAN380. The SMAN is way ahead of any other manifold in terms of useability. Everything you could possibly want in a manifold. I had no problems with Ak's, Testos or older SMANs, but the only manifold that even comes close to the 380 in my mind was the YJ P51-870 , those are darn good gauges. But, with the ability to go wireless, (or not, whichever you like) and have all the info at your hands with a screen to read it on is just too much to pass up. With the jL probes, you have a fantastic system.

Post Likes
    Prefer the probes, (Testos-mine or Fieldpiece-employers, have them both) using a second hand phone or tablet for display, charging tee, low loss fitting and thumbscrew core depressor.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by davejohnsonnola View Post
    Prefer the probes, (Testos-mine or Fieldpiece-employers, have them both) using a second hand phone or tablet for display, charging tee, low loss fitting and thumbscrew core depressor.
    I don't disagree with that. I did it just that way until the 380s came out. It's just personal preference, how each of us likes to work.
    I just am saying that IF I'm going to use a manifold, which I find myself doing a lot more, then my choice is the 380. Iwas/am pretty happy with the JL probes, and FP has worked out a lot of the kinks. FP has made huge strides with first probes and then manifolds, and no I'm not a fan boy. I just like what works. I actually think it's a shame Iman has lost so much ground, but i can't see spending $2k for one, and I can afford to do it, but there's really no functionality over some of the others, especially with MQ now in the game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123