+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF Knipex Tools Lifetime warranty meaningless

Post Likes

WTF Knipex Tools Lifetime warranty meaningless

So my knipex 7491250 High Leverage Diagonal cutters bit the dust yesterday after about 15 years of service, which is a good service life. Brought them to Berlands House of Tools where I bought them. I was told the warranty needs to be handled by Knipex directly. So I called them at 3:30 pm today Chicago Time and they were closed. Never knew they were in the banking business.

Anyway, I looked up the warranty process online and was horrified to discover that an original proof of purchase is required to process a warranty.

So who the F keeps receipts that long? I probably have it somewhere with my tax records, but it may take months for me to poor through all my tool receipts to find it.

What a joke. Shame on Knipex and any tool company with this sort of requirement for warranty. Obviously I own the tool. I have possession of it and its clearly not new, that should be proof enough. Also even if it was stolen, which its not, they would have still been paid for it by the distributor.

The warranty statement may as well say

“Good luck with that!”

Im gonna send an email. If they dont stand behind the tool, Im done buying expensive tools. The pliers cost 3 times what Kleins did at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Not surprised. I figure most warranties are worthless.

Post Likes
    Crapsmen use to be great. You could take a screwdriver bent in half and get a replacement no questions asked no receipt.
    Is that why Sears is going under ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Crapsmen use to be great. You could take a screwdriver bent in half and get a replacement no questions asked no receipt.
    Stanley Black and Decker bought the Craftsman tool line in March 2017, but from what I understand Sears maintains the right to manufacture and sell tools using existing supply channels under the Craftsman name for 15 years after that deal closed.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    keeping the receipt is pretty standard. i think that is how manufacturers get out of a ton of warranty claims. lifetime warranty seems a little ridiculous in my opinion. why would anyone offer such a warranty? how would you stay in business?
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Lifetime warranty means that when it fails, its life is over.
    Doug

7. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I mean just the fact that it lasted 15 years probably means it's worth the price, yes?

Just the fact that you didn't lose it in that time period is impressive.

The auto parts store has the same policy, and it allowed me to perpetually get free crappy alternators until I decided to go to a real rebuild shop and get a quality remanufactured one.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

9. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ive been very pleased with the performance and quality of the Knipex brand of pliers. I have a bunch of them. They are pricey, but very good quality and good ergonomics at least for my hands. It just rubs me the wrong way to claim lifetime warranty and not really mean it. Ill play along and find the receipt and make my claim. But in the mean time, I secured a replacement from milwaukee.

I guess Im even more bothered by the retail seller. They’re a tool specialty store, they have a repair department for power tools and such. Why not handle the claim in house? I found the exact replacement in the store, about 70 bucks. Online the same tool is 45. Why pay almost double in the store and not get provide the customer service and product support that they are clearly charging for?

Post Likes
    It costs money to keep bricks and mortar together and then parts on the shelf. I prefer to buy local when possible but I also ask that they help me out since I am buying local. That’s a tough call.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Just got me another made in the USA Chanel Lock Diagonal cutter. Was gonna ask here if there was something better but I knew the answer. I beat the heck out of those. The Klein I had didn't last a week. Good for cutting zipties at most.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Ive been very pleased with the performance and quality of the Knipex brand of pliers. I have a bunch of them. They are pricey, but very good quality and good ergonomics at least for my hands. It just rubs me the wrong way to claim lifetime warranty and not really mean it. Ill play along and find the receipt and make my claim. But in the mean time, I secured a replacement from milwaukee.

I guess Im even more bothered by the retail seller. They’re a tool specialty store, they have a repair department for power tools and such. Why not handle the claim in house? I found the exact replacement in the store, about 70 bucks. Online the same tool is 45. Why pay almost double in the store and not get provide the customer service and product support that they are clearly charging for?

Overhead

Post Likes
    I wish Fieldpiece made diagonal cutters.

Post Likes
    The Internet and businesses like Amazon is why Sears is going under.

I went to Sears last weekend to buy another pair of boots, because that's where I've been going for decades. Went to the shoe and boot area, and no one to help go back and get the right size. The only help in the store were the cashiers, started looking around on my way out, and not a single person there to help customers. Place just started feeling like death.

So I went home and bought the same boots online.

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Interesting ,I have a lot of Klein tools,I find them to be pretty good.Knipex is also good, but thanks for the warranty info.They should have just taken your pair, and handed you a new pair.They have pull with Knipex.

Post Likes
    Unfortunately,Sears Ain't what it use to be!!!But ,you know that already.Last time I wanted a pair of Wolverine shoes that i liked,The stores didn't have the style or price.Ordered them on the net.no driving, no BS ,good price.had them in 2 days.The stores are just stabbing themselves to death.No help.no inventory ,higher prices.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    I wish Fieldpiece made diagonal cutters.

^^^^ 🤣

Post Likes
    Name:  384198195-550x819.png
Views: 1723
Size:  708.4 KB
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post

I went to Sears last weekend to buy another pair of boots, because that's where I've been going for decades. Went to the shoe and boot area, and no one to help go back and get the right size. The only help in the store were the cashiers, started looking around on my way out, and not a single person there to help customers. Place just started feeling like death.

Had the very same experience!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    I don't know what they are waiting for in the US with Sears. They took old Sears back out behind the shed and put her down over a year ago in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post

I'll be damn, just a few days ago I did the same thing. The last pair of Craftsman boots I bought held up great. They only had a size 7. I settled on the half price Die Hard tennis shoe with the steel toe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in