Post Likes

Add fresh-air system/module to existing forced air standard system

Hello,
    I'm looking to upgrade our existing ~25 year-old forced air system and would like to know if there are "fresh-air" systems out there that can be added on?
    Our current system is a typical New England area forced air from 1994 era. I can provide details if necessary.

I know that if you are building a new system from scratch in a new house you can design it in a way where some of the air is taken from the outside. Obviously it's filtered and dehumidified (and then goes through heat exchange of some sort). At the same time same volume of stale air is exhausted.
    I realize that I can't have a whole new system from scratch because this exact kind of setup requires corresponding duct work through out the entire house. But I was wondering if there's something in-between. Entire basement duct-work is open so that can be modified in any way (I will do a zone split anyway).

A guy that stopped by for an appraisal didn't even know what I'm talking about which was kinda strange so I thought I'd ask here. He actually looked at me as I'm crazy LOL

Please let me know.
    Thank you!

Post Likes
    ERV or HRV exhaust air and bring in outside air while recovering heat or energy from the exhaust air to warm or cool the incoming air.

Gaining popularity is the ventilating dehumidifiers. They don't have the heat recovery but bring in outside air, usually on a timer, and dehumidify house and incoming air.

Our resident bear will be along to tell you more...

https://www.ultra-aire.com/ Watch the Richard Trethewey video

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    ERV or HRV exhaust air and bring in outside air while recovering heat or energy from the exhaust air to warm or cool the incoming air.

Gaining popularity is the ventilating dehumidifiers. They don't have the heat recovery but bring in outside air, usually on a timer, and dehumidify house and incoming air.

Our resident bear will be along to tell you more...
    This sounds exactly what I'm looking for, although I wish it had the heat recovery as well.
    In any case, could anyone recommend a professional in North shore, MA area? Like I mentioned, I called a pretty well know HVAC company in the area and the guy had no clue what I was even talking about. Looks like they aren't professional after all. I mean, if they have never heard of this before then I don't even trust them with any "new generation" system because they are not keeping up with the latest tech.
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    Let me research Boston area for a contractor.
    Back on Monday.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Hi Guys . Looks like there are still the same questions and the same wrong answers. I do miss my philological discussion with Carmack.

I wonder how many homeowners are still turning their bedroom doors upside down now that it is summer? LOL

To answer the homeowners question, since I am ran out of my invention and am now fully retired, install a Famco vent.

Back to my grandkids
    The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    Let me research Boston area for a contractor.
    Back on Monday.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Thank you!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kirko7 View Post
    This sounds exactly what I'm looking for, although I wish it had the heat recovery as well.
    In any case, could anyone recommend a professional in North shore, MA area? Like I mentioned, I called a pretty well know HVAC company in the area and the guy had no clue what I was even talking about. Looks like they aren't professional after all. I mean, if they have never heard of this before then I don't even trust them with any "new generation" system because they are not keeping up with the latest tech.
    Thanks!
    We are willing to help a good contractor through his first installation of a whole house ventilating dehumidifier, especially an Ultra-Aire. These are available from Therma-Stor Madison WI to qualified wholesaler.

Here is some contractors that have sold some equipment.

Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Name:  boston area contractor 1.JPG
Views: 66
Size:  41.5 KB

Name:  boston 2.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  37.5 KB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    We are willing to help a good contractor through his first installation of a whole house ventilating dehumidifier, especially an Ultra-Aire. These are available from Therma-Stor Madison WI to qualified wholesaler.

Here is some contractors that have sold some equipment.

Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Thank you for that info! So do you recommend I contact one of those distributers you listed to find a contractor? I really don't want to go back to that guy I called for an estimate... Not only he had no idea what I'm talking about, he didn't even look interested.

Post Likes
    These are contractors or wholesalers that have handled Ultra-Aire whole house dehus that can mix fresh air with house air, filter, dry if needed, and circulate the air via the a/c ducts or independent ducts throughout the home.
    I do not know them personally.
    I am here to assist in anyway reasonable.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear