Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blower speed

Post Likes

Blower speed

High end Carrier R22 residential split system built 2004. Question on blower speed.

Dealer set it up so the AC is 2 1/2 ton into 3 ton air handler with variable speed motor. Low and high heat calculated to CFM properly with Carrier white papers I have read online. But all the white papers and folks on forums suggest the handler should be set to produce about 400 CFM per ton of AC, so for 2 1/2 tons of AC the furnace motor would be set to about 1000 CFM. The dealer set it up to run full speed at 1440 CFM when it was installed in 2004. I asked the dealer today if I should set it to about 400 CFM instead, and the response was short, "best to leave it on high speed." That correlates to about 580 CFM per ton. Anyone care to comment what the logic might be to set it so high? My dealer doesn't like to explain their logic so asking them won't get any further answers.

Post Likes
    If you don't live in a real humid area, you could probably leave it as is. If you need more humidity control, say your humidity level is above 50-55%, lowering the speed would probably help.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

"Skilled Labor Isn't Cheap, Cheap Labor Isn't Skilled" - Unknown

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble".

Post Likes
    humidity inside stays right at 50%. Temperature split inlet to outlet (R6 flexible ducts new in 2004 with new insulated sheet metal manifold) was 13 F - 14 F at 1440 CFM (576 per ton).At 406 CFM split is now 16 F, and humidity is slowly falling from a high of 55% today in the house to 46%. I don't know if that information helps.

Sacramento area gets all its rain from November to May. June thru October are dry with some humidity when fronts pass thru or tropical storms monsoon north but we do not get any rain from those systems. Outside humidity is 28% right now, and 93F, 5pm. Rather cool summer day for here. 100F to 105F is typical this time of year. Taking a shower, cooking etc., raise inside humidity.

I have 3 speed choices, 576 CFM per ton, 472 CFM per ton, or 406 CFM per ton. That assumes low restriction filters. The other two speeds are slower and are dedicated to the gas furnace portion. Heat uses low (43,000 BTU) and medium-low (66,000 BTU) speeds.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgkent View Post
    humidity stays right at 50%. Temperature split inlet to outlet (R6 flexible ducts new in 2004 with new insulated sheet metal manifold) was 13 F - 14 F at 1440 CFM (576 per ton).At 406 CFM split is 16 F and humidity is slowly falling from a high of 55% today in the house to 46%. I don't know if that information helps.
    You could tinker with the airflow, but if your humidity is @55-46% if it were my home, I would leave it alone.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". -Vernon Law-

Post Likes
    You must be at 11,444 foot elevation.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    High end Carrier R22 residential split system built 2004. Question on blower speed.

Dealer set it up so the AC is 2 1/2 ton into 3 ton air handler with variable speed motor. Low and high heat calculated to CFM properly with Carrier white papers I have read online. But all the white papers and folks on forums suggest the handler should be set to produce about 400 CFM per ton of AC, so for 2 1/2 tons of AC the furnace motor would be set to about 1000 CFM. The dealer set it up to run full speed at 1440 CFM when it was installed in 2004. I asked the dealer today if I should set it to about 400 CFM instead, and the response was short, "best to leave it on high speed." That correlates to about 580 CFM per ton. Anyone care to comment what the logic might be to set it so high? My dealer doesn't like to explain their logic so asking them won't get any further answers.
    are these actual #'s of guesstimates

Post Likes
    Thanks Bill. It is 50% - 55% is with the speed set to 576 CFM per ton. It has fallen from 55% to 46% using the 406 CFM speed. Everyone tells me that 13.5 F temp split between the inlet grille and closest outlet to the air handler is too low. That temp split is using the 576 CFM per ton speed. The differential increased to 16 F at 406 CFM. Would you put it back to the 576 CFM setting and run with the 13.5 F temp split or slow the fan down and try for a better temperature split?

Post Likes
    are these actual #'s of guesstimates
    They are from the Carrier manual for that specific system. The charts give the CFM per fan speed and in. wc. The temperature measurements are with a HVAC probe thermometer left in the air flow at the inlet grill and the closest outlet for a few minutes to stabilize. The humidity comes from a 5% electronic gauge I keep in the house. I don't have a sling psychrometer.

Post Likes
    The charts give the CFM per fan speed and in. wc.
    Have you actually measured your inches of WC?

Do you have the full model number of this unit?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    I don't have a sling psychrometer.
    Well hopefully all of us would understand that. Here's the $64,000 question, how does it feel in there for you? If you feel comfortable, I would just leave it alone, and not worry about all this science.

Post Likes
    Wish I could make more sense but I will post the results.

right now I am running on the medium speed. It was originally set to the high speed. At the speed these readings were taken the CFM should be about 405 CFM per ton. It was set up by the dealer at high speed which is probably about 576 CFM depending on in wc at this speed.

With low resistance fiberglass filter in:
    Across just the air handler .54 in wc
    Across just the A-coil .40 in
    Across filter .15 in

bottom of furnace to above A-Coil .27 in

With filter removed:

bottom of furnace to above A-Coil .18 in
    bottom of furnace to ambient room .10 in
    Return duct to ambient room .05 in

right now I am running on the medium speed. It was originally set to the high speed.

Post Likes
    I put it back on high so there are no accidental freeze ups tonight. To me maybe the coil needs cleaning but these numbers may be totally normal for a 2 1/2 ton Carrier system. These number below in the graph were just taken on the high speed it was originally configured with. They aren't as accurate as a high end test instrument might be but they are close, and taken with a Dwyer Mark II. These numbers are different than the ones prior in this thread because of the speed being put back to where it was.

[/QUOTE]

Post Likes
    The dealer set it up to run full speed at 1440 CFM when it was installed in 2004. I asked the dealer today if I should set it to about 400 CFM instead, and the response was short, "best to leave it on high speed." That correlates to about 580 CFM per ton.
    These number below in the graph were just taken on the high speed it was originally configured with.
    Your CFM isn’t anywhere near the 1440 cfm or 580 cfm per ton you stated in the previous posts.

From your drawing, your TESP is .73”wc (.45” + .28”wc).

On the high speed tap you are have approx - 425 cfm per ton (2.5 ton unit).
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast