Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Let's look again:

The line parallel to the sensing bulb line is the liquid line. It loops down and then bends 180º up and into the TXV inlet screen housing.

The line off the side of the TXV body is the equalizing line - so it must be an externally equalized TXV. This is used when the pressure drop though the evaporator is too great to have the coil inlet pressure close enough to the outlet pressure to keep the TXV closing force accurate.

Typically the give-away indication is the use of a distributor. Which is the opposite side of the same problem. The coil passes are too restrictive in series - so they are piped into two or more circuits.

And the TXV outlet is obviously indicated by the distributor.

It looks to me as though the pictures were not taken in immediate sequence so the differing ice formation hides different things.

And the poor depth-of-field makes the closer-to-the-camera copper lines look much larger than they are. It's all somewhat deceiving at first glance.

PHM
    ---------

[QUOTE=lzenglish;25745806]
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    I believe that is a replaceable inlet screen housing.

PHM
    --------

Ok, maybe i'm turned around here. I see one txv inlet, one txv outlet to distribution, and one 1/2 inch copper line off the rusty valve in question going to places unknown,or back to main discharge line, to me anyway? yes no or other?
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Poodle Head Mikey;25745844]Let's look again:

The line parallel to the sensing bulb line is the liquid line. It loops down and then bends 180º up and into the TXV inlet screen housing.

The line off the side of the TXV body is the equalizing line - so it must be an externally equalized TXV. This is used when the pressure drop though the evaporator is too great to have the coil inlet pressure close enough to the outlet pressure to keep the TXV closing force accurate.

Typically the give-away indication is the use of a distributor. Which is the opposite side of the same problem. The coil passes are too restrictive in series - so they are piped into two or more circuits.

And the TXV outlet is obviously indicated by the distributor.

It looks to me as though the pictures were not taken in immediate sequence so the differing ice formation hides different things.

And the poor depth-of-field makes the closer-to-the-camera copper lines look much larger than they are. It's all somewhat deceiving at first glance.

PHM
    ---------

Very Nicely Said PHM! My problem was that i did not practice what i preach, and had this "defrost theory" etched in my mind while i searched for something that was not even there.Thanks, and Take Care!

Post Likes
    Waiting for the OP.....

Oh yeah, I remember now, the OP has experience as a refer tech....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stat View Post
    Waiting for the OP.....

Oh yeah, I remember now, the OP has experience as a refer tech....
    and is an Engineer!

Post Likes
    What's wrong with engineers?

Or did you mean it some other way ? <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    and is an Engineer!
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    What's wrong with engineers?

Or did you mean it some other way ? <g>

PHM
    --------
    I make a lot of money re-designing their screwup’s

Post Likes
    Engineers are good train drivers.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    The Evaporator is probably about 15 years old, with no defrosting heater. It has also never cycled off for defrost as far as I can tell.

Post Likes
    How large is the walk-in box? W x D x H

Is it inside a building or outside?

What is the model number of the condensing unit and/or the compressor?

What is the model number of the cooling coil in the box?

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by fkoojsk View Post
    The Evaporator is probably about 15 years old, with no defrosting heater. It has also never cycled off for defrost as far as I can tell.
    PHM
    --------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123