Post Likes

Arrow Putting a fan in a garage vent

Hello everyone.. noobie here... I have a question.. Iíve been trying to cool off my garage for a while now.. a lot of HVAC companies told me thereís no way to add any more ducts to the 1st story of my house (2 story house).. so I was thinking if there was any alternatives I could do with this vent? A fan/some type of cooler? (not trying to spend a lot of $$) I donít know if itís considered a crawl space vent because it goes directly into my garage (no crawl space in my home that Iím aware of except the attic) Iíve researched foundation vent fans and crawl spaces ventilations but Iím not sure what exactly to look for.. thanks for any help I appreciate it a lot! 👍 sorry if the pics are bad uploading and typing from my phone!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Install a Mini Split

Post Likes
    Is the space insulated? If not I would start there. A fan might not be able to overcome the load from the walls and roof.
    A fan won't introduce anything but hot outside air and the possibility of drawing cool air from the house. If a fan is used I would blow into the space rather than try to draw the hot air out.
    Big box stores here rent machines that blow insulation into the walls. They work ok and are better than nothing.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Is the space insulated? If not I would start there. A fan might not be able to overcome the load from the walls and roof.
    A fan won't introduce anything but hot outside air and the possibility of drawing cool air from the house. If a fan is used I would blow into the space rather than try to draw the hot air out.
    Big box stores here rent machines that blow insulation into the walls. They work ok and are better than nothing.
    I think the walls are insulated not 100% though..as far as the airflow goes the only airflow it gets really is when I open the garage door (maybe once a week) and the foundation vents.. I was actually thinking about placing a fan (in the foundation vent) to blow the outside air in garage.. I know it would probably be cold air at night and hot air during the day.. but it would most likely be better than it is now because during the summer days it tends to be hotter in the garage than it is outdoors.. I just donít know what kind of fan/device to really look for.. the only thing I came across that was similar was the crawl space ventilation fan.. but Iím not sure if that would work being that itís intended to blow the hot air out I believe right?

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Install a Mini Split
    Thanks Iíll look into that! I appreciate it!

Post Likes
    It looks like a good idea.

Post Likes
    A garage what are you wanting to do with the space?

Post Likes
    I am not sure it is legal or safe to install a vent or connecting duct from the house to the garage.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Moved to AOP.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?