Post Likes

Carrier 19xr fault question

Hi,
    We have a Carrier 19xr chiller aboard our vessel and we get an occasional fault, 205, Motor Amperage When Stopped.
    The chiller is stopped, and it usually faults when we have another load drop on our services, such as large pumps.
    Is there a configuration I can enter to increase the alarm pickup time? If we have the voltage drop for say, 1 second, can the pickup time for fault 205 be increased to 2 seconds, for example.
    Any other suggestions are welcome.

Post Likes
    Sounds like bad ISM module

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I would be sure the contactors are not sticking or the CTs are reading properly before changing the ISM

Post Likes
    Just had same issue ISM was causing this activating shunt trip,turned on oil pump , and started CHWP. Took MP-3000 from functional chiller and swapped out problem went away. Been waiting a month for new Mp module from Eaton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    This fault occurs everytime we put a large load on our distribution. It's not random.
    That's why I was wondering about changing trip points, if this was possible.
    So, it seems that it could be the controller?
    Contactor isn't sticking and CTs seem to read ok.

Post Likes
    Try increasing the under/over volt time and the under voltage threshold settings in the ISM configuration screen. Try lowering your demand limit just in case you are starting the chiller under a heavy load.

Post Likes
    Tried over/under....same thing.
    We have a second chiller that's down for another reason. I'm wondering if i swapped the ISM between the two and see if the fault leaves.
    Assuming the ISM is where the motor amperage calculation is done.

Post Likes
    With the chiller not running go into the power screen. Look at voltage and amperage. Make sure all three phases are showing zero amps and make sure your voltage reading is correct.

If this looks good start the chiller. While its loading and once it stabilizes watch the amperage and voltage readings in power screen.

Typically if theres an issue with the ISM your voltage or amperage reading will be out of wack. Not accurate at all. One or two phases might be accurate but not all three.

you can find power status by selecting:

MENU, STATUS then POWER

Post Likes
    I did a comparison between both chillers. When stopped, all values look normal, when running under load, values look normal.
    We have a new fault, 213- Starter module power on reset when running.
    Any further ideas?

Post Likes
    Be sure that you are not losing the 110v control power, if that checks out replace the ISM Module.

Post Likes
    I have had the same issue on my vessel. Got service bullentin SB-C1714 from Carrier with some hints..

- Install an isolation transformer and connect to ISM J3 input terminals, with J3-L2 connected to ground! Carrier part # for transformer: 134-1 19A / 605-1731
    - When installing a new type ISM 19XR04012202 ("Green board") with a current 19XR04012203 ("Blue board") it is recommended to connect J4-2, 4, 6 to ground. (Those are your CT inputs)

On another chiller grounding off the shield of the VT / CT to the switchboard did help a little, as did moving the control wiring away from power cabling going to the chilled water / cooling water pumps which are VFD driven...

Unfortunately I still ended up replacing the ISM on this unit...

Hopefully this helps...

Post Likes
    Wow, thanks.
    Im going to see if i can find that bulletin online!

13. Likes brett2008 liked this post