Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Heat pump for air conditioning

guys - I have a non-efficient central AC system powering up my 2200sq feet home. 2 zones covering basement, 1st and 2nd floors. I've started research on a heat pump with the intention to keep the home AC on 24x7 during the summer months of June-Aug. I don't mind the initial investment which I understand could be $$ but wanted to ping this forum to see what my running power costs could be. I know a heat pump is very efficient but guess I'll still need an air handler/blower

Can someone guide me on this - I live in a very high power cost city - NYC and it's about 42c/kWh here. Rough approximations would do for now and this home is a old 100 year old non-insulated home (indoor and outdoor stucco)

Thx
    Last edited by beenthere; 07-08-2019 at 04:37 AM.

Post Likes
    I’m wondering if geothermal heat pumps installed vertically can be done in new york

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by betterair View Post
    I’m wondering if geothermal heat pumps installed vertically can be done in new york
    Only if the building has a cooling tower!

Post Likes
    guys - I have a non-efficient central AC system powering up my 2200sq feet home. 2 zones covering basement, 1st and 2nd floors. I've started research on a heat pump with the intention to keep the home AC on 24x7 during the summer months of June-Aug. I don't mind the initial investment which I understand could be 20k but wanted to ping this forum to see what my running power costs could be. I know a heat pump is very efficient but guess I'll still need an air handler/blower

Can someone guide me on this - I live in a very high power cost city - NYC and it's about 42c/kWh here. Rough approximations would do for now and this home is a old 100 year old non-insulated home (indoor and outdoor stucco)

Thx
    How has the size been determined?

Single unit serving multiple floors rarely work out as expected!

Post Likes
    A heat pump isn’t a part you install, it’s a matched complete system.
    As for efficiency, it will only be as efficient as to how well it’s installed, and how well the building envelope is sealed.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

Post Likes
    what's my best bet for a building that's not well sealed. Should I go for air source heat pumps instead and what manufacturers should I start with. I plan to call their dealers and get a local consultation

thx

Post Likes
    Hire the installer. Not the brand.
    The hands working on the equipment, means a lot more then brand name.
    Brand means almost nothing.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486

8. Likes Vinnie_NJ liked this post
    Post Likes
    Is there a cooling tower in the building?
    Are you allowed to tap into it?

Post Likes
    this is a 100 year old private house. Should I do a blower test to check the envelope's insulation?

Post Likes
    A blower door test checks the homes leakage. Air changes per hour so you know where improvements can be made.

Post Likes

A LOT OF JUICE ... N E C E S S A R Y

guys -

I have a non-efficient central AC system powering up my 2200sq feet home.

2 zones covering basement, 1st and 2nd floors.

I've started research on a heat pump with the intention to
    keep the home AC on 24x7 during the summer months of June-Aug.

I don't mind the initial investment which I understand could be $$ but wanted to ping this forum to see what my running power costs could be. I know a heat pump is very efficient but guess I'll still need an air handler/blower

Can someone guide me on this -
    I live in a very high power cost city -
    NYC and it's about 42c/kWh here.

Rough approximations would do for now and this home is a
    old 100 year old non-insulated home (indoor and outdoor stucco)

Thx
    ___ THINK HARD..!...!!
    about building YOUR Own POWER PLANT.
    __________________________ ~70K dollars for maybe 20 KW SOLAR PV
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    HEAT LOSS might be in THE _BALL PARK of 64,000 BTU/HR at 15'F

Your Heat Loss approximation from link
    ___ THANKS to GARY.

___ Attachment

___ www.loadcalc.net

___ ___ ___ LOAD CALC 2200 SQ FT BUILT 1918 2 STORY With Basement …
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    wow that graph is super helpful. I didn't know my heating costs will go way up with high efficiency systems.

My main goal with high efficiency was with my current system, it just doesn't feel comfortable - either too cold or too warm as it constantly cycles on and off. Any solutions to that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast