Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Has it been tested and rated by AMCA? If so what did they have to say? Does calibration have to be NIST tracible or does it only do calculations? That all counts if used by a certified balancer. If used by a certified balancer all the test equipment has to have calibration that is NIST tracible. The way it works may be a secret but balancers have to know enough about it to have confidence they can use it without being overridden by their certifying agency. Does it work with a system that is not working properly and if not does it alert you there is a problem?
    Not trying to throw cold water on this but I think certified balance of residential systems will eventually be mandated and wondering how this would fit in or if it will.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Has it been tested and rated by AMCA? If so what did they have to say? Does calibration have to be NIST tracible or does it only do calculations? That all counts if used by a certified balancer. If used by a certified balancer all the test equipment has to have calibration that is NIST tracible. The way it works may be a secret but balancers have to know enough about it to have confidence they can use it without being overridden by their certifying agency. Does it work with a system that is not working properly and if not does it alert you there is a problem?
    Not trying to throw cold water on this but I think certified balance of residential systems will eventually be mandated and wondering how this would fit in or if it will.
    That was never the intent nor do we advertise it that way. It is an indirect measure of airflow and not a volumetric measure. It is far better then what most techs have to measure airflow which is typically nothing. It is far more accurate than most instruments for use on residential airflow as the airflow is far from laminar. We have lab tested in multiple labs and it is a very good method to determine airflow. We can only determine the airflow/ton then we multiply it by the nominal tonnage to get system airflow. The ratio is all the same so it really does not matter if you put the wrong tonnage in as far as CFM/ton.

It is a total airflow calculation and cannot be used for measurement at a register. Remember, air balancing with a hood or anemometer only works well if the ducts are tight. If you have leakage downstream of the point of measure the hood will not account for it. The way that it is done in MQ, if the measured and the estimated do not agree we can flag it as an issue. I outlined above the conditions for it to make an accurate measurement. As long as the evaporator is not completely starved (within about 25 degrees of target SH) it works very well and we do not let the software use the calculation until we confirm the system is stable and the parameters are within the range that it can provide good data.
    JLB,

Post Likes
    Thanks for answering my questions Jim.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jim bergmann View Post
    As long as the evaporator is not completely starved (within about 25 degrees of target SH) it works very well and we do not let the software use the calculation until we confirm the system is stable and the parameters are within the range that it can provide good data.
    That is awesome. Thank you.

Post Likes
    When will the MQ app work with the Fieldpiece 480.I have fieldpiece job link probes and Psychometric probes, but I find myself using the 480 more often.I guess i'm just so used to breaking out a manifold(old School,habit).Thanks for all your good work towards helping servicemen in the HVAC field.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    When will the MQ app work with the Fieldpiece 480.I have fieldpiece job link probes and Psychometric probes, but I find myself using the 480 more often.I guess i'm just so used to breaking out a manifold(old School,habit).Thanks for all your good work towards helping servicemen in the HVAC field.
    The SM480v and 380v both are joe supported. Go to the toolbox, scan for new tools and I’ll come up under the Fieldpiece probes
    JLB,

7. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12