Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Job advise

Post Likes
    OK There's nothing wrong with being a 30 year old apprentice. Yep might be a couple tight years but in the long run it will more than make up for it. Many have done this. All I'm saying is don't have the mind set you will loose wages until you get the offer in hand. I'll guarantee reduced wages will not be as long or have the impart you think. (Done it a couple times myself and I had 4 kids in school)

With respect to the schools and hiring contractors, there's your first place to drop your application off at.

Yes working for a service company you will have the potential to be exposed to more or different brands/manufacturers. But that does not mean you have to become stagnent in your learning. There are many training opportunities you can take to keep yourself informed and fresh. Almost every supply house has training classes you can take. Adult education classes abound, not to mention the class you are in. Look up RSES sign up with them. Get a subscription to the NEWs, This website, are all examples of not becoming stagnent in your learning

Good Luck

Post Likes
    I cannot help with specifics since I am in Canada, but we have a certification program that is recognized nationally.

If you can have someone sign off on some of your hours you can challenge different apprentice levels here. How many levels usually depends on the experience. If you were allowed to challenge all four years you would be granted a Journeyman certification.

I would say it would be extremely rare for someone to be allowed to challenge and to pass all four levels.

Your jurisdiction may allow you to challenge so you might want to look into that possibility.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Answer-Man View Post
    OK There's nothing wrong with being a 30 year old apprentice. Yep might be a couple tight years but in the long run it will more than make up for it. Many have done this. All I'm saying is don't have the mind set you will loose wages until you get the offer in hand. I'll guarantee reduced wages will not be as long or have the impart you think. (Done it a couple times myself and I had 4 kids in school)

With respect to the schools and hiring contractors, there's your first place to drop your application off at.

Yes working for a service company you will have the potential to be exposed to more or different brands/manufacturers. But that does not mean you have to become stagnent in your learning. There are many training opportunities you can take to keep yourself informed and fresh. Almost every supply house has training classes you can take. Adult education classes abound, not to mention the class you are in. Look up RSES sign up with them. Get a subscription to the NEWs, This website, are all examples of not becoming stagnent in your learning

Good Luck
    Thanks man I appreciate all your input and I will implement the ideas you have given me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    I cannot help with specifics since I am in Canada, but we have a certification program that is recognized nationally.

If you can have someone sign off on some of your hours you can challenge different apprentice levels here. How many levels usually depends on the experience. If you were allowed to challenge all four years you would be granted a Journeyman certification.

I would say it would be extremely rare for someone to be allowed to challenge and to pass all four levels.

Your jurisdiction may allow you to challenge so you might want to look into that possibility.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I think they might do something similar here in California, maybe an assessment test.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12